Application Assignment: Course Project—Interview Reflection and Lesson Plan
Your Application Assignment this week is to complete both parts of the Course Project as well as add to your Strategies for Teaching Adult Learners Toolkit. You have already prepared for a significant portion of the Project through the three interviews you have conducted. With the Resources and Discussion on assessment and feedback this week, you have acquired the necessary information and strategies to plan an effective learning experience with adult learners in your field.
Part 1a: Interview Reflection (approximately 2 pages)
Drawing on your interview notes and summaries from the Applications in Weeks 2, 4, and 5, synthesize what you have learned from the interviews in order to write a reflection that includes:
- The best advice, insights, and/or strategies you learned for working with adult learners
- Advice and/or insights—based on what you have learned in this course—that you would suggest for any of the people you interviewed or for the educator you observed working with adult learners
- The ways in which these interviews have influenced your thinking and practice with regard to working with adult learners and your conclusions with regard to working in a particular area or role with adult learners in the early childhood field
Part 1b: Lesson Plan (approximately 3–4 pages)
Plan a learning experience on a topic appropriate for a group of adult learners in a specific program or setting within the early childhood field. Your learning experience must incorporate a minimum of three effective strategies or techniques from the course resources and/or your interviews that are appropriate for the experience. Include the following components:
- A description of the program or setting in which you would present the learning experience
- A description of the adult learners you have in mind
- The topic of the learning experience and an explanation of why it is appropriate curriculum for the program/setting and adult learners
- At least one learning objective and your rationale for this objective (or objectives)
- A description of the instructional format(s) you will use with this learning experience and your reasoning
- A description of the types of assessment you will use with this learning experience and your reasoning
- A brief outline of your lesson plan for the learning experience.
- How you will introduce the learning experience
- Where and what assessments will occur
- Where and how you will apply each of the strategies or techniques you have chosen and why each is an effective practice for the learning experience
- How you will wrap up the learning experience
- Source(s) of the highlighted strategies/techniques
- A brief reflection on your completed lesson plan, your process in developing the learning experience, and insights you have gained from the lesson planning
(Parts 1a and 1b Total Assignment length: approximately 5–6 pages)
Part 2: Compiling a Strategies for Teaching Adults Toolkit
Drawing from your Resources on assessment this week, describe at least three strategies you will add to your Toolkit and provide a rationale for your choices.
(Assignment length: approximately 2 pages)
Note: You need only to submit Parts 1a and 1b of this Application Assignment. Title Part 2 of this assignment "Week 7: Toolkit" and save it to the folder you created in Week 1.
Submit this assignment by Sunday of this week.