essay about mytholgycollege edition
Classics 2220 Classical Mythology The Ohio State University | Autumn 2015
Assignment What should OSU freshman be reading? Why? Imagine that OSU’s curriculum development team has asked you to help them design a Core Literary Curriculum. Imagine further that in a few years every OSU freshman will be required to take the Core Literary Curriculum sequence. The development team asked you to help because you have undertaken a close reading of four of the most influential Greek literary works (there are a lot more, trust me!): Odyssey by Homer, Theogony and Works & Days by Hesiod, and Symposium by Plato. The team wants you to recommend one of the four works to be required reading in the freshman course. In this essay, you must answer the following question:
• Which of the following works should be required reading for every freshman at OSU: Odyssey, Theogony, Works & Days, Symposium?
The essay must state its thesis in a short introductory paragraph, followed by a few body paragraphs actually making the argument. As part of its evidence the essay must cite (not necessarily quote, but cite) specific passages of
• the chosen work at least three times • and at least two of the non-‐chosen works at least once each.
For example, if an essay argues for the primacy of Theogony, it must cite at least two of the other remaining texts (e.g., Odyssey and Symposium). Essays may only use the four texts as evidence. Further details are below. For more tips on writing this type of essay, and a post-‐writing checklist, see the relevant document on Carmen. Assigned: Wed, Oct 14. Due: Fri, Oct 23 by 11am in Carmen’s Dropbox, formatted as a Word doc or pdf.
Rubric Formatting & Length _____ / 1 Is the paper appropriately formatted?
• 12-‐point, Times New Roman font in black • 1.5 spacing • 1 inch margins
_____ / 1 Is the paper the appropriate length? • 1 page • The student’s name and essay title should be on the first line, and the
essay itself should start on the second; no additional space should be taken up with headers, dates, etc.
• Anything over the page limit will not be considered part of the essay. Thesis _____ / 3 Does the thesis
• adequately answer the question posed in the assignment, • provide a sufficient reason for that position, • and provide a mini outline of the points the essay will make to argue the
thesis? Supporting Paragraphs _____ / 2 Argument: do the supporting paragraphs sufficiently argue the thesis? _____ / 2 Evidence: does the essay use sufficient evidence from the texts, and cite it
correctly, to support the argument? Grammar & Other Mechanics of Writing _____ / 1 Does the essay use proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation, and is the
prose clear? TOTAL __________ / 10