Aging in Americaneey42
LESSON 4.1 The Human Environment Required Readings Hooyman & Kiyak text: Chapters 8 & 9
http://www.aoa.gov: NOTE: The U.S. Administration on Aging (AoA) website offers a wide
range of information, including lists of organizations providing intergenerational programs.
http://www.aarp.org NOTE: The American Association of Retired Persons website has many
sections; one of them is “Money and Work”. Clicking on this in the top bar will take you to
current information about the Social Security debate and other related issues.
Written Assignment #1:
Write a 1-2 page paper in which you briefly describe five people that you know fairly well, and
who vary widely in chronological age (include yourself), and:
1. List the major roles each of these people holds.
2. Determine whether age grading has influenced any of these roles—explain your
3. Analyze whether role theory’s predictions about the association between number of roles
and chronological age seem to apply.
Written Assignment #2:
Recall the character of Norman from the film On Golden Pond that you watched for the previous
lesson. Using information from this unit’s readings and study notes, write a 3-5 page paper in
1. Describe Norman’s human environment.
2. Select one of the following four theories: Activity, Disengagement, Continuity, or
Disengagement, and use it to describe how Norman and his human environment interact.
3. Explain why you chose the theory you used to analyze Norman’s environment.
4. Tell whether you feel that the theory you have used is useful and credible.
In both of these written papers, please be sure to follow APA or MLA guidelines for citing
sources, and add a reference list or bibliography.