Women in Artlenafinest23
Week 6 Discussion
Please respond to the following, using the resources in this week's Learn and those below as the basis for your response.
- Select two paintings depicting females, one by a male artist and one by a female artist from those named in the Resources that follow.
- Compare and contrast these two depictions of women and comment on any general tendencies that you detect among artists of that era in this respect.
- Compare this situation in the late 1800s to the way females are depicted in our own modern times, using at least one specific modern example.
Artists’ Depictions of Women
- Chapters 31 and 32, depictions of women by male artists Manet, Degas, Dewing, and Eakins, and by female artists Cassatt, Morisot, and Sara M. Peale.
- Our Collection: National Museum of Women in the Arts.
- National Gallery of Art: Artists.
- 3 months ago