Why should the pledge of allegiance be revised?
Topics for Critical Thinking and Writing
1. Summarize the essay in a single paragraph.
2. Does the background material about the history of the pledge serve a useful purpose? Should it be deleted? Why, or why not?
3. Does the writer give enough weight to the fact that no one is compelled to recite the pledge? Explain your answer.
4. What arguments does the writer offer in support of her position?
5. Does the writer show an adequate awareness of other counterarguments?
6. Which is the writer’s strongest argument? Is any argument notably weak, and, if so, how could it be strengthened?
7. What assumptions—tacit or explicit—does the author make? Do you agree or disagree with them? Please explain.
8. What do you think the words “under God” to mean? Do they mean “under God’s special protection”? or “acting in accordance with God’s rules”? or “accountable to God”?
9. Chief Justice Rehnquist wrote that the words “under God” are a “descriptive phrase.” What do you think he meant by this?
10. What is the purpose of the Pledge of Allegiance? Does the phrase “under God” promote or defeat that purpose? Explain your answer.
11. What do you think about substituting “with religious freedom” for “under God”? Set forth your response, supporting your reasons in about 250 words.
12. what makes a distinction between the reference to God on U.S. money and the reference to God in the pledge. Do you agree with her that the two cases are not analogous? Explain.
13. What readers might not agree with Wilde’s argument? What values do they hold? How might you try to persuade an audience who disagrees with her to consider her proposal?
14. putting aside your own views on the issue, what grade would you give this essay as a work of argumentative writing? Support your evaluation with reasons.
- work solutions
- Prof Xavier
- Octavio 1- Prof
- Ellen Forbes
- Frederick Johnstone
- Michelle K
- ANN HARRIS
- Miss Professor
- Rey writer
- Catherine Owens
- kristine tutor
- Dr Saira
- KATHERINE BECKS
- Prof. Moses Geek
- Wendy Lewis
- A-plus Writer
- Talented Writer
- Professional research writer
- Glen Archie
- phyllis young
- Hillary Young
- Prof. Allwood Sonnerberg
- big tank
- Tutor Faith
- Daisy Arabella
- Prof. Script
- Mary Tutor
- Claire Audrey
- Bridget Young
- brilliant answers
- Miss Lynn
- kim woods
- best tutor 2014
- Prof Double R
- Do we need legislation to protect e-mail privacy? You will have to take a side of the argument and defend it. Remember this is a business Law class. You are to use either legal theories,ethical theories, or case law to defend or to show the other side of
- Do ALEKS for my accounting class
- SCI 163
- Job Analysis Paper
- How does the Patient Protection Affordable Care Act (PPACA) of 2010 address access to insurance? What do you see as the ultimate goal of expanding insurance coverage?
- James A. and Ella R. Polk, ages 70 and 65, are retired physicians who live at 13319 Taylorcrest Street, Houston, Texas 77079. Their three adult children (Benjamin Polk, Michael Polk, and Olivia Turner) are mature and responsible persons. The Polks have he
- psychology discussion paper, 6 hours due time!
- Math Question
I need help with an assignement in critical thinking.