Neurobiology Considerations Case Study: SuzySuzy is a 27-year-old Caucasian woman with no children. At age 8, she witnessed her mother’s overdose of prescription pain medication. Her mother subsequently recovered but was addicted to prescription pain medication throughout Suzy’s childhood. Suzy’s father did not live with them. Suzy’s mother suggested that this was because of his alcoholism. Rage-filled fights between her parents were commonplace for Suzy since she was an infant. Over the last several years, Suzy has become increasingly anxious. It seems that she is always on edge and worried. In fact, her doctor suspects she may have generalized anxiety disorder. She has been referred to your counseling clinic in hopes of getting better. During the first session, you learn that Suzy abuses alcohol frequently—six to seven drinks at least three times per week. Suzy believes she will have trouble coming to counseling if she does not have medication to help calm her down enough to “sit still.” © 2014 Laureate Education, Inc.Page 1 of 1
An awareness of neurobiology and neurotransmitters establishes the critical basis for mental health professionals to understand the connection between psychopathology and psychopharmacological interventions. Mental health professionals use their awareness of the complex interactions between neurobiology, neurochemistry, and psychotropic medications to conceptualize client concerns and formulate treatment strategies.
For this Assignment, review Suzy’s case study and consider the function of neurotransmitters and the way client treatment may be affected by these functions. As a mental health professional, how can you help Suzy understand what might be going on in her brain while at the same time advocating for her case?
By Day 7
In a 2-, APA-formatted paper, include the following:
As a mental health professional, you are called upon to advocate for clients in mental health settings. For this Assignment, imagine you have been called into a panel discussion with the case study team for Suzy. Your plan is to advocate for Suzy through her mental health treatment. In your advocacy for Suzy, address the following:
- Identify which neurotransmitters may be affected in Suzy’s case and justify your selection based on evidence from the case and the Learning Resources.
- Identify three drugs that could be used to treat Suzy’s mental health symptoms and explain how these drugs may affect her neurotransmitter function.
- Identify one possible drug of addictive potential that may contribute to her mental health symptoms.
- Explain how your awareness of using the right drugs helps in advocating for clients through mental health treatment.
Lichtblau, L. (2011). Psychopharmacology demystified. Clifton Park, NY: Delmar, Cengage Learning.
Chapter 1, “Neuroanatomy and Neurophysiology” (pp. 1–18)
Preston, J. D., O’Neal, J. H., & Talaga, M. C. (2017). Handbook of clinical psychopharmacology for therapists (8th ed.). Oakland, CA: New Harbinger.
Chapter 3, “Neurobiology” (pp. 29–43)
Chapter 4, “Pharmacology” (pp. 45–56)
Chapter 9, “Anxiety Disorders” (pp. 107-122)
National Institute of Mental Health. (2016). Mental health medications: Overview. Retrieved from https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/mental-health-medications/index.shtml
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. (2014). Brain basics: Understanding sleep. Retrieved on from http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/brain_basics/understanding_sleep.htm#sleep_disorders
- Writing King
- Quickly answer
- Ranchoddas Chanchad PhD
- Dr R Judy Mark
- Colossal Genius
- Phd isaac newton
- quality work for all
- RELIABLE PAPERS
- Paula Hog
- Terry Roberts
- USH soluTions
- Wendy Lewis
- First Class Expert Tutor
- runge-kutta acer
- Guruu Math
- jim claire
- Dr Candice_2547
- wizard kim
- PROF washington watson
- Catherine Owens
- Urgent Tutor
- brilliant answers
- All Works solver
- Jessica Luis
- Emily Clare
- RESPECT WRITER
- Jenny Boom
- Maham Malik
- Rey writer
- Doctor Okumu
- Emily Michael
- kim woods
- Potty Pavarotti
- Proff work phd
- MathStat Genius
- Dr shamille Clara
- Casey Celia
- phyllis young
- Miss Professor
- Eva Green
- Dr. Elahi
- Prof. Nicholas
- Angelina May
- Prof Berry
- Saad Fahim
- Rima Makenzie
- Prof Solutttions
- P7-1 (Determine Proper Cash Balance) Francis Equipment Co.
- ustification Report – Presentation
- BUS 402 Week 3 DQ 2 Triggers and Contingencies
- Let X be a continuous RV with a probability density function (PDF) fX(x) = cx2 for 0 < x < 3 = 0 otherwise where c is a constant. a) Find the constant c. b) Find the probability that X takes on a value between 1 and 2 i.e., P(1 < X < 2) using the PDF
- "Outcomes: What Will You Do Differently?"
- Explain how the shape of a finch's beak is an example of an adaptation.
- Complete Section 2 of the Service Request SR-rm-022 paper for Riordan Manufacturing. This week’s assignment incorporates the transition from analysis to design.
- Explain how the external environment, organizational size, technology, and strategy are relevant in the design of an organizational structure where you have worked (McShane & Von Glinow, 2013).
Neurobiology Considerations Case Study: SuzySuzy is a 27-year-old Caucasian woman with no children. At age 8, she witnessed her mother’s overdose of prescription pain medication. …