A 1200-1800 word research essay.
Research Requirements = minimum three sources from TCC library catalog/databases.
You will learn to
- Approach a controversial issue through dialogue using the Rogerian argument strategy
- Create an argument that uses a non-confrontational structure and consensus-building tone
- Adopt an outwardly neutral and objective stance toward an issue
- Use higher-order critical thinking skills of synthesis and creative problem solving to develop a compromise position or “common-ground” between opposing viewpoints.
- Select, organize, and incorporate academic research material (at least 3 distinct, non-internet, TCC library or database sources) into your essay.
Characteristics of the Rogerian Essay
A successful essay
- Will include an introduction that presents the problem/issue, introduces the opposing viewpoints, and then discusses the issue’s impact on both sides.
- Will describe accurately and fairly the two opposing points of view on the problem/issue, demonstrating genuine understanding of each.
- Will present these viewpoints in neutral but clear language.
- Will lay out possible ways to compromise or alternative solutions to the problem that would benefit both sides.
- Will use empathetic and non-judgmental language as a way of reaching compromise.
A generic outline could look as follows:
- Intro (one paragraph)
- Overview of problem/issue and controversy about how to solve it.
- Side A’s answer to the problem
- Side B’s answer to the problem
- Question you will explore setting up the two sides.
- Side A: (paragraphs 2-3)
- reasons and support (examples and explanations of Side A’s policy)
- Side B: (paragraphs 4-5)
- reasons and support (examples and explanations of Side B’s policy)
- Compromise and Conclusion (paragraphs 6-7)
- Answers question from introduction
- Discussed shared values and common ground between Side A and B.
- Uses common ground to craft a compromise.
- Side A: (paragraphs 2-3)
- MLA Format
- A recommended 1200-1800 word range; essays below 1000 will receive automatic deductions and below 600 will be considered failing.
- Academic research material (at least 3 distinct, non-internet, TCC library or database sources) into your essay.
- Works Cited Page and Internal Citation (following MLA style)
- Third-person point of view.
- Miss Deanna
- MEERAB NAEEM
- The quA+lity
- Nora William
- The grAde
- Amanda Smith
- Dr Ava_Mia
- Madam Michelle
- Guruu Math
- Malik Tutor
- Brainy Brian
- Doctor Okumu
- Catherine Owens
- Angelina May
- Math Guruu
- Paula Hog
- Emily Clare
- RESPECT WRITER
- professor mitch
- Emily Blunt
- RELIABLE PAPERS
- wizard kim
- kim woods
- Jenny Boom
- Wendy Lewis
- Emily Michael
- university work
- Rey writer
- prof avril
- Dr shamille Clara
- quality work for all
- Brooklyn Milan
- Eva Green
- Casey Celia
- Prof. Ali_Raza
- Dr. Elahi
- Terry Roberts
- phyllis young
- Jessica Luis
- Dr R Judy Mark