PROF SCRIPT WK 9 Discussions
Discussion 1: The Impact of the Digital Age on Eating Disorders
In your readings, the authors discuss the prevalence of pro-eating disorder websites (sites that assist the client in sustaining unhealthy behaviors related to an eating disorder) and their impact on the health of individuals living with an eating disorder. The authors also discuss recovery websites that promote treatment strategies for those struggling with an eating disorder. In clinical practice, social workers need to be aware of the different resources available to clients living with an eating disorder that would affect the recovery process.
For this Discussion, read this week’s Resources. Then search the Internet for a website that promotes strategies to sustain pro-eating disorders. Finally, identify a recovery website.
• Post an analysis of how the website you selected affects behaviors listed in the DSM-5 criteria for eating disorders.
• Then analyze the strategies the recovery website suggests for addressing the problematic behaviors and the related self-perceptions of the individuals living with an eating disorder.
• Include the URLs for the websites in your discussion.
Support your post with specific references to the resources. Be sure to provide full APA citations for your references.
References (use 3 or more)
American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.). Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Publishing.
Verstuyf, J., Vansteenkiste, M., Soenens, B., Boone, L., & Mouratidis A. (2013). Daily ups and downs in women's binge eating symptoms: The role of basic psychological needs, general self-control, and emotional eating. Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, 32(3), 335–361.
McGee, B. J., Hewitt, P. L., Sherry, S. B., Parkin, M., & Flett, G. L. (2005). Perfectionistic self-presentation, body image, and eating disorder symptoms. Body Image, 2, 29–40.
Peebles, R., Wilson, J. L., Litt, I. F., Hardy, K. K., Lock, J. D., Mann, J. R., & Borzekowski, D. (2012). Disordered eating in a digital age: Eating behaviors, health, and quality of life in users of websites with pro-eating disorder content. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 14(5), 305–320.
Stice, E., Marti, C., & Rohde, P. P. (2013). Incidence, impairment, and course of the proposed DSM-5 eating disorder diagnoses in an 8-year prospective community study of young women. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 122(2), 445–457.
Williams, D. E., Kirkpatrick-Sanchez, S. E., Christie Dunn, J., & Borden-Karasack, D. (2009). The clinical management and prevention of pica: A retrospective follow-up of 41 individuals with intellectual disabilities and pica. Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities, 22(2), 210–215.
Discussion 2: Societal Influences on Eating Disorders
In your readings this week, the authors point to the fact that eating disorders may likely be underreported. This is partially due to society’s expectations around body image. The media consistently portrays the very thin body type as glamorous and desirable. This message is ubiquitous in society.
For this Discussion, find a picture that exists in the media (i.e., magazines, store fronts, billboards) that you believe projects a statement about body image. Take a photograph of the picture and scan it as one of the following file types: *.bmp, *.gif, *.jpg, *.jpeg, or *.png.
• Post the picture to the Discussion board. Then analyze whether the creators of this picture intending to target a particular group or gender?
• What statement is the image projecting?
• How might the picture reflect society’s expectation about and influence on body image?
• How might you change the picture to reflect a different image?
Note: Photos must be acceptable for a professional/classroom environment. Please respect the sensitivities of your colleagues by only posting appropriate pictures.
References (use 3 or more)
Developing Political Strategies
In this week's resources, you explore the stories of Susana and the Bradley and Levy families. They are all in situations that need social work intervention and advocacy. What political strategies would you use to enact policies developed to assist these individuals?
In this Discussion, you develop political strategies to address one aspect of the situation(s) and problem(s) facing Susana, and members of the Bradley and Levy families.
To Prepare: Read and review Chapter 11 in your text. Read "Social Work Policy: Children and Adolescents," "Social Policy and Advocacy: Violence Prevention" and "Working with Families: The Levy Family"in this week's resources for this week. View the Bradley Episode 7 in the media for this week.
Post an explanation of the political strategies you would use to address one aspect of the situations/problems facing Susana and members of the Bradley and Levy families. Explain why you selected that strategy.
Be sure to support your post with specific references to this week's resources. If you are using additional articles, be sure to provide full APA-formatted citations for your references.
References (use 3 or more)
Jansson, B. S. (2018). Becoming an effective policy advocate: From policy practice to social justice (8th ed.). Pacific Grove, CA: Brooks/Cole Cengage Learning Series.
• Chapter 11, "Developing Political Strategy and Putting It into Action in the Policy-Enacting Task" (pp. 372-419)
Plummer, S.-B, Makris, S., Brocksen S. (Eds.). (2014). Social work case studies: Concentration year.Baltimore, MD: Laureate International Universities Publishing. [Vital Source e-reader].
• "Social Work Policy: Children and Adolescents. The Case of Susanna" (pp. 57–60)
• "Social Policy and Advocacy: Violence Prevention" (pp. 53–55)
McNutt, J. (2011). Is social work advocacy worth the cost? Issues and barriers to an economic analysis of social work political practice. Research on Social Work Practice, 21(4), 397–403. doi:10.1177/1049731510386624.
Sherraden, M. S., Slosar, B., & Sherraden, M. (2002). Innovation in social policy: Collaborative policy advocacy. Social Work, 47(3), 209–221
- Critical Process to analyze
- PSY-100 Week 6 Topic 6 DQ 2
- Week 5 DQs
- Research Process Paper on Aviation
- Cooperpative learning versus Group Work
- case help
- International Finance/Business questions 1. What are the advantages Blades could gain from importing from and/or exporting to a foreign country such as Thailand? 2. What are some of the disadvantages Blades could face as a result of foreign trade in the s
- 20 multiple choice questions