Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
Discussion: Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
It is estimated that more than 6% of the U.S. population will experience posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in their lifetime (National Center for PTSD, 2010). This debilitating disorder often interferes with an individual’s ability to function in daily life. Common symptoms of anxiousness and depression frequently lead to substance abuse issues and even physical ailments. For this Discussion, as you examine the Thompson Family Case Study in this week’s Learning Resources, consider how you might assess and treat clients presenting with PTSD.
· Review this week’s Learning Resources and reflect on the insights they provide.
· View the media Academic Year in Residence: Thompson Family Case Study, and assess the client in the case study.
· For guidance on assessing the client, refer to pages 137–142 of the Wheeler text in this week’s Learning Resources.
Note: To complete this Discussion, you must assess the client, but you are not required to submit a formal Comprehensive Client Assessment.
Post an explanation of your observations of the client in Thompson Family Case Study, including behaviors that align to the PTSD criteria in DSM-5. Then, explain therapeutic approaches you might use with this client, including psychotropic medications if appropriate. Finally, explain expected outcomes for the client based on these therapeutic approaches. Support your approach with evidence-based literature.
N:B REMEMBER TO INCLUDE THE INTRODUCTION, CONCLUSION AND REFERENCES LESS THAN 7 YEARS OLD
Wheeler, K. (Ed.). (2014). Psychotherapy for the advanced practice psychiatric nurse: A how-to guide for evidence-based practice (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company.
- Chapter 13, “Stabilization for Trauma and Dissociation” (pp. 469–508)
American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
Laureate Education (Producer). (2012a). Academic year in residence: Thompson family case study [Multimedia file]. Baltimore, MD: Author.
Ochberg, F. (2012). Psychotherapy for chronic PTSD [Video file]. Mill Valley, CA: Psychotherapy.net.
- Fadia Nawaz
- Miss Lynn
- Dr Joseph Colness
- PROF. ANN
- Kelly Jacobs
- KATHERINE BECKS
- RESPECT WRITER
- kim woods
- Terry Roberts
- PrincessMary tutor
- Dr JamesAndrews
- ANN HARRIS
- wizard kim
- Teacher hyranks
- phyllis young
- Prof. Jason1
- Prof Tim Wilson
- John Mureithi
- madam teacher
- Talented Writer
- Mary Tutor
- For Ann Harris
- Introduction to Histology 2
- Begin by choosing a topic from the PHI103 Final Paper Options list. Construct an argument for a position on the topic....
- Could you do it?
- crij1301less7 must complete questions and extra creidit and provide links to each question
- Create an operations plan for your NAB company using the template in the text as a guide (p. 214 | Operations...
- I need done in 1 hour - Anthropology
- Ethics Paper
- WR week 6-9 only
- for Prof. Samuel King only