PHILOSOPHY: The Descartes Assignmentnatalia.na
The Due Date:
The purpose of this assignment is to give you practice particularly in:
- Identify and apply a variety of epistemological theory
- Evaluate and differentiate between an epistemological, a metaphysical and an ethical question
- Understand and apply the criteria of correct philosophical reasoning
- Understand the difference between a rhetorically good argument and a rationally good argument.
- Identify, reconstruct and evaluation arguments posed by philosophers
Outside of this course, this will help you understand and apply good reasoning, spot problems in another person's side of a debate (or spot them in your own) and know how to rephrase a person's stance in better, more easy to understand ways.
In the reading as well as the modules, we have discussed the method of Descartes and the results of his methods (Meditations 1 & 2). In this assignment you need to answer the following questions (a paragraph a piece):
- What was Descartes method for getting 100% certain beliefs?
- What thought-experiments did he accept/reject?
- Why did he reject one and not the other?
- What couldn't he doubt, if anything?
Each of these should take you around a paragraph to answer. Each of them are worth 5pts. Since this is worth 20pts, this is worth 5% of your total grade.
To submit this assignment, I only accept .pdf, .doc, .odt, and .docx. I do not accept .pages. You can find where to submit in the upper right of this screen. As for all assignments in this class, the standard is Times New Roman, 12pt font, double spaced, 2-3 pages (that is, at least a few words onto the second page to the bottom of the third).
- 2 years ago