Lesson 1 Exam
Question 1 5 / 5 points
1. Which of these would be a valid hypothesis?
Human history is determined by a series of supernatural events.
Humans should help in the conservation of other animal species.
Humans are controlled by forces beyond our understanding.
Humans and bacteria share a common genetic code.
Question 2 5 / 5 points
2. The following molecule is best described as a: CH3—CH2—CH2—CH2
Question 3 5 / 5 points
3. Carbohydrates typically include:
<p> an NH<sub>2</sub> group.</p>
C, H, and O atoms.
<p> a PO<sub>4</sub> group.</p>
Question 4 5 / 5 points
4. Taxonomy is the:
study of cells.
naming and classifying of organisms.
study of organisms and their interaction with the environment.
study of genes.
Question 5 5 / 5 points
5. 66An atom with an electrical charge is a(n):
Question 6 5 / 5 points
6. __________ is an example of an element.
Question 7 5 / 5 points
7. A fat that is hydrogenated is:
easier to digest.
less likely to cause strokes.
Question 8 5 / 5 points
8. Sometimes when I have my morning coffee, which I drink black with no sugar, I notice a thin film floating on top of the coffee. Since I have just read Chapter 3 of the text, I now realize the nature of this substance and so I run to my friend screaming, "Look at this __________ in my coffee!"
Question 9 5 / 5 points
9.How many oxygen atoms are in the products of the following reaction?
C6H12O6 + 6 H2O + 6 O2 → 6 CO2 + 12 H2O
Question 10 5 / 5 points
10. In what way(s) is the science of biology influencing and changing our culture?
By helping us understand the relevance of evolution to human health
By revealing how mutations in genes can lead to disease
By providing new tools for forensic investigations
All of the above
Question 11 5 / 5 points
11. Science is:
the inquiry-based effort to describe and explain nature.
the search for truth.
an organized set of principles for how to ethically and morally behave.
All of the above
Question 12 5 / 5 points
12. People with lactose intolerance do not have enough:
Question 13 5 / 5 points
13. In the following reaction, what type of bond is holding the two atoms together?
K + Cl → K+ + Cl- → KCl
Question 14 0 / 5 points
14. Which of these is required for natural selection to occur?
Unequal reproductive success
All of the above (Incorrect)
Question 15 5 / 5 points
`15. Humans are composed of __________ cells.
Question 16 0 / 5 points
16. The model on the left is not realistic in that:
neutrons are not located in the nucleus.
the electrons should be much farther away from the nucleus.
electrons do not orbit the nucleus in a ring shape. (Incorrect)
electrons do not have a negative charge.
Question 17 5 / 5 points
17. Beryllium's atomic mass is 9 and its atomic number is 4. How many neutrons are found in a beryllium atom?
Question 18 5 / 5 points
18. Which of the following is water hydrophilic?
Question 19 5 / 5 points
19. A base:
removes H<sub>2</sub>O molecules from a solution.<br/>
decreases the pH of a solution.
removes OH<sup>—</sup> ions from a solution.
removes H<sup>+</sup> ions from a solution.
Question 20 5 / 5 points
20. Which of the following is a health effect of a diet high in saturated fats?
Increased blood flow
Decreased risk of atherosclerosis
Increased risk of heart attack
Decreased risk of stroke
Purchase the answer to view it