1. Which of the following statements about Southern South America is true?
A. The Argentine economy was devastated by the end of 2001 due to multiple factors.
B. Uruguay has the lowest level of urbanization of any mainland Latin American country.
C. Paraguay is the smallest country of the subregion.
D. Influence of Roman Catholicism has sharply declined in Argentina.
2. In Mexico, the expression Porfiriato refers to
A. the oppressive rule of Porfirio Diaz.
B. any kind of authoritarian political oppression.
C. the end of the political dominance of the PRI in July 2000.
D. the revolution of 1911 that overthrew Diaz.
3. _______ is one of the first Latin American countries to have a separate ministry of tourism with
dedicated funds within its federal governmental structure.
4. Which of the following states is considered part of the Corn Belt?
5. Immigration currently accounts for about _______ of U.S. population growth.
D. a quarter
6. In the post-industrial era, an edge city is a/an
A. large suburban development mainly occupied by commuters.
B. complex of warehouses, shopping malls, and offices located along traffic routes.
C. merger of several residential suburbs into one entity.
D. urbanized development that is an extension of a megalopolis.
7. In Brazil, the indigenous population was around 3.5 million before the arrival of Europeans. Today, the
indigenous population is around
C. 1.5 million.
D. 2 million.
8. Regarding tropical rainforests, the term evapotranspiration refers to the fact that
A. deforestation causes a decline in atmospheric oxygen.
B. trees absorb carbon dioxide and "exhale" oxygen.
C. the humidity of rain forests can produce local and regional precipitation.
D. deforestation causes a loss of soil fertility due to water evaporation.
9. Which of the following statements about the physical geography of North America is true?
A. The largest tributary of the Mississippi is the Arkansas River.
B. The ancient rock of the Canadian Shield covers about one-fourth of Canada.
C. The most geologically active region of North America is found along the West Coast.
D. The Mississippi drainage basin is the fifth largest in the world.
10. Exports of tin and silver were the mainstays of the _______ economy for many decades. However,
today, as the market for tin has declined, the country has become an exporter of other metallic ores, such
11. In the 1950s, 40 percent of the U.S. workforce was engaged in manufacturing. By the 2000s, fewer
than ________ percent of U.S. workers were employed in manufacturing.
12. Which of the following is the primary aim of the Parti Québécois?
A. Garnering higher income from the operation of the St. Lawrence Seaway
B. Secession from Canada in order to become a Department of France
C. Establishing Quebec as an independent country
D. Improving economic opportunities for French-speaking Canadians
13. Significant settlement in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta
A. occurred only after World War II.
B. was a response to the world demand for wheat in the early twentieth century.
C. followed the completion of Canada's transcontinental railways.
D. occurred only as major highways were built across Canada.
14. Which of the following is not a leading urban center in Venezuela?
15. Which of the following were the main proponents of NAFTA?
A. Human rights groups
B. Large corporations
D. Labor unions
16. Which of Canada's Atlantic Provinces has jurisdiction over mainly uninhabited Labrador?
A. New Brunswick
B. Nova Scotia
D. Prince Edward Island
17. To avoid risks associated with tornadoes, lightning, and hurricanes, in the United States you should
steer clear of
18. The _______ were responsible for the forced migration of more people from Africa than any other
19. _______ refers to a series of vertical zones with distinctive climate and vegetation regimes.
B. Temperature inversions
End of exam
C. Urban expanses
D. Altitudinal zonation
20. Which of the following is the primary subsistence crop in Latin America?
Purchase the answer to view it
1. Which of the following statements about the physical geography of North America is true? A. The ancient rock of the Canadian Shield covers about one-fourth of Canada. B. The most geologically …