fsmt281 week 4 forum responses
Initiative 7 - Research Agenda
- “Despite the obstacles, remember that the information that we collect in the fire service is some of the most important in regard to the safety and well-being of our citizens, so it's important to do everything to ensure that we are retaining "clean" data. Moreover, the accessibility of this information is vital as we look to improve key benchmarking goals relating to safe staffing levels, efficient deployment models, and the prevention of fire-related death and injury.”
Overall it is very important to participate in this as it only help us in lesson learned and not repeating mistake that have happened in the past.
- What type of fire behavior training have you received that allows you to understand what is occurring?Understating building construction helps with this, as well as Fire Dynamics training, Modern Fire Dynamics training, ventilation and fire development courses.
- Who completed the initial research that extracted the information that was used in your training?
These are all formal training classes that our department has adopted and put into our annual training plan.
- What type of incident data will your department submit from this fire and how will it be used?
The department might look into the ventilation process, was it performed by our guys or naturally vented. It can be uses on a lessons learned platform or Near Miss website.
Initiative 8 – Technology
"Innovative technology has always been an important part of firefighting.Technology in the fire service covers far more than computers and software. From Personal Protective Equipment to fire pumps to radio communication systems, firefighting technology advances all work together to improve firefighter safety and effectiveness.However, firefighting is a field that highly values tradition. And sometimes, departments can be hesitant to adopt new firefighter technology."
- What benefit can new technology offer emergency responders?
Technology plays a huge part in the fire service today. We have really bought into this due to the injuries or deaths that have occurred in the past year that could have been avoided.
- Are there any potential downfalls to relying on technology?
There can be some down falls there can be some inaccuracies with new advancements. I think of calibration and testing issue being the biggest, but with the right processes being in place that can be corrected.
- Can new technology make emergency responders safer?
New technologies absolutely can keep our people safer. As long as everyone understands how to use this equipment is key. We need to make sure we don’t get to depended on it and keep our basic instincts and principles sharp.
Initiative 7 – Research Agenda
1. Explain the uses of statistical data from incident reports and the importance of accuracy?
The department I am currently at collects and analyzes data monthly. This data helps us ensure we are meeting dispatch/turnout/response times designated by NFPA. One problem that we have identified through data is that when calls are received downtown (off-base), our dispatch times exceed the allotted 60 seconds. With this data, we are able to highlight this as justification when it comes to our department inspections.
2. Please read the case study below and answer the following questions:
A. What type of fire behavior training have you received that allows you to understand what is occurring?
Fire dynamics along with buildings construction and ventilation classes are what I have attended that would lead me to believe what the fire may be doing.
B. Who completed the initial research that extracted the information that was used in your training?
This would fall on the Training Chief in the department. The Training Chief runs off an annual training plan that has been approved by the Fire Chief. Classes are prepared utilizing NFPA references as well as LODD/Close Call reports.
C. What type of incident data will your department submit from this fire and how will it be used?
The time the fire started, the time crews arrived, and the time(s) when conditions worsened. This may help provide data and conclude when possible flashover or conditions similar occurred. In addition, how quickly the fire spread from the point of origin.
Initiative 8 – Technology
1. Please read the case study below and answer the following questions:
A. What benefit can new technology offer emergency responders?
New technology can play a big part when it comes to fire/rescue situations. For instance, when visibility is limited, a thermal imaging camera can see what the firefighter can’t see, for instance a victim inside a room. One thing I learned a few years back was that thermal imaging cameras can also play a part when it comes to vehicle accidents. When responding to a call, a thermal imaging camera can direct to the seat of a vehicle to possibly give you a good idea how many occupants there were.
B. Are there any potential downfalls to relying on technology?
Always, whenever you rely solely on technology, the chances of the equipment failing is great. For instance, in this case, if the firefighter were to rely on the images from the camera to make his way through, if the camera stops working, he may become disorientated and lost/trapped.
C. Can new technology make emergency responders safer?
I believe so, however, it is imperative that responders also learn the same techniques without advanced equipment in the event they stop working.
- Amanda Smith
- brilliant answers
- Homework Pro
- Prof. Celine M.
- Reem Hasan
- Jessica Luis
- Rey writer
- Dr Candice_2547
- Catherine Owens
- quality work for all
- Tiny Chris
- kim woods
- Terry Roberts
- RESPECT WRITER
- phyllis young
- Jenny Boom
- Miss Professor
- Wendy Lewis
- prof avril
- university work
- Sara Waynes
- Ph.D A+ Grade
- Jen Tech1
- Arslan Amjad
- American Academic Writer 1
- Emily Michael
- managerial accounting
- For SmartZena
- Week 3 Assignment
- -7. Croakie now has a new routine that is 59 feet long. Keep this distance in mind as you complete...
- for expert_researcher
- OMM 622 Week 6 Assignment ( Financial Statement Analysis ) ~ ( Latest Syllabus - Perfect Tutorial - Scored 100% )
- LDR 531 ENTIRE COURSE
- 6 sections for chem 13 hours from now
- Managing Diversity Issues