Family Structures and Cultures[email protected]
1. While teachers are always expected to be professional and uphold professional standards of practice, they also have to make decisions that sometimes do not have a clear response. In these situations, teachers must turn to the ethical standards and relevant laws and policies to guide their decisions. The purpose of this assignment is to allow you to practice making some of those difficult decisions.
For this assignment, read “Case Study – Danny,” In a 500-750 word essay, provide answers to the following questions related to the case study:
- Summarize the key issue from the case study.
- What are the ethical considerations? How could Ms. Rodriquez have better responded to Ms. Tang?
- What are 2-3 possible alternative responses?
- Out of the possible alternatives, which do you recommend and why?
Support your findings with a minimum of three scholarly resources, in addition to the textbook. Be sure to cite the NAEYC Code of Ethical Conduct and Statement of Commitment we well.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
In 150-250 words, reflect upon your attitude towards family engagement and the effect it can have on students. Consider the following questions in your reflection:
- How can a teacher’s attitude toward family engagement ultimately affect student development and achievement?
- What insights did you gain about your own attitude toward family engagement?
- What areas do you feel are your strong points?
- What areas do you feel you need to develop further?
- How will you find development opportunities to improve these areas?
APA format is not required, but solid academic writing is expected.
Create a matrix of 10 possible family structures, traditions, cultures, languages, and/or religious practices that you may encounter in a classroom. Address the following within your matrix for each area identified:
- Briefly describe the family structure/tradition/culture/language/religion.
- Discuss one engagement strategy you would use to encourage parents/families with that background to participate in the classroom.
- Discuss classroom environment considerations you will keep in mind. This should include both routines and visuals around the classroom.
In addition, beneath the matrix, describe a classroom activity you could create to respect and honor diversity within your classroom in 100-250 words.
Support your matrix with at least three scholarly resources, in addition to the textbook.
While APA style format is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and in-text citations and references should be presented using APA documentation guidelines, which can be found in the Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
4. In your opinion, what challenges are presented with a class full of children from diverse backgrounds? What are the benefits of having a diverse group of students? How can you promote diversity and be sensitive to differences, while still maintaining a cohesive classroom environment?
5. How might you respond to a parent who alerts you that their religious practices prohibit their child from participating in activities that you regularly engage in? (For example, the child whose family does not celebrate any holidays or salute the flag or the child whose religion prohibits girls from interacting with boys)? How could you ethically and respectfully include the child in the class while still continuing your daily activities?
6. This reference guide is designed to help you be successful after the end of this course. Use the attached document titled “Reference Guide” to complete the assignment.
During the past few weeks, you have had the opportunity to develop a plan for success as a student here at GCU and beyond graduation. Use the attached document titled “Reflection” to complete the assignment.
- 2 years ago