Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: “Sonny’s Blues”; Appendix 3 – Literary Theory and Critical Perspectives
- File (PDF): Presentation
- Minimum of 1 peer-reviewed library resource
James Baldwin, author of Sonny's Blues, once said, "I grew up with music...much more than with any other language. In a way, the music I grew up with saved my life" ("Session 3 Inquiry: Rudolfo Anaya and James Baldwin," 2015).
Blues – more than anything – is Sonny's "drug." How has it become his addiction throughout the story and, at the same time, saved him? Further, how has the narrator finally learned to listen to Sonny? Discuss what music symbolizes, specifically in relation to black heritage, in the story.
Do NOT use Sparksnotes, eNotes, Wikipedia, or similar websites, as these are not academic in nature. If you do so, you will earn an automatic F. Your essay may be submitted to Turnitin, so please use the University library or .org and .edu resources.
"Session 3 Inquiry: Rudolfo Anaya and James Baldwin." (2015). Retrieved from http://www.learner.org/workshops/hslit/session3/aw/work2.html
Writing Requirements (APA format)
- 3-5 pages (approx. 300 words per page), not including title page or references page
- 1-inch margins
- Double spaced
- 12-point Times New Roman font
- Title page with topic and name of student
- References page (minimum of 1 resource – in addition to the text)
Grading and Assessment
This activity will be graded using the Writing Intensive Courses Grading Rubric (in Course Documents).
Course Learning Outcome(s): 2, 3, 4
2. Move from literal to figurative interpretation of texts and consider multiple interpretations.
3. Examine the elements of literature.
4. Incorporate literary criticism in analysis of literature using APA format with appropriate citations.
- seth PhD
- Paula Hog
- ANN HARRIS
- Miss Professor
- KATHERINE BECKS
- Camila Cherokee
- phyllis young
- Catherine Owens
- Scarlett Hadson
- The perfect tutor01
- Chloe Howard
- Business Writer
- Aisha WRITER.
- Lady Taylor PhD
- Miss Lynn
- Sophia Emerson
- INSTRUCTOR HENRY
- kim woods
- Wendy Lewis
- Rey writer
- All Works solver
- Dr Andrea Paxson
- Tutor shadrack