Ashford 3: - Week 2 - Discussion 1
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Reference the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
Literary Techniques and Their Connection to Conflict in Literature
Prepare: Prior to beginning your initial post, read the required materials and review the handouts, Plot, Theme, and Conflict and List of Literary Techniques. In addition, read Chapters 4 through 7 of Journey into Literature and choose a story from the textbook.
Reflect: All stories have a theme that forms the plot. Also, literary elements and techniques contribute to creating and highlighting the theme. Reflect on the theme and literary elements and techniques in the story you have chosen to read.
Write: Your initial post should be at least 200 words in length. The minimum word count does not include references. In this discussion you will
- Describe the core conflict represented in the story.
- Describe the theme of the story.
- Select three literary elements/techniques in the story and describe them.
- Explain how the elements/techniques illustrate the theme and conflict expressed in the story.
- Incorporate readings found in Chapters 4 through 7 to help illustrate the points you make.
Respond to Peers: Respond to at least two of your classmates’ initial posts. Each response should be at least 75 words in length and should address two or more of the following points:
- Do you agree with your classmates’ perspectives? Why, or why not? Be specific.
- Ask a specific question to encourage further discussion on the topic.
- Challenge your classmates’ interpretation of literature and/or point of view.
- Do a small amount of research and share what you learn with your peers about the topic discussed in this post.
Purchase the answer to view it