Ashford 2: - Week 1 - Discussion 1
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Reference the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
Why Read Literature?
Prepare: Prior to writing your initial post, read Chapters 1 through 3 of Journey into Literature
Reflect: Chapter 1 of our text provides a number of reasons why people choose to explore literature. Clugston (2014) writes that there is “a powerful curiosity about human relationships and how to cope in the world in which we find ourselves” (Section 1.1, para. 2). The text gives a number of general motivations for reading, but it is helpful to put those motivations into context. Consider what your motivations are for reading.
Write: Your initial post should be at least 200 words in length, not including references. In your post, answer the following questions:
- What does literature offer an individual?
- How has the importance of reading changed from earlier eras (pre-digital/audio/visual media) to our present day? Do you think we read differently now than we did in prior generations?
- Do you think Clugston’s quote is valid? How have perceptions regarding the value of literature changed, if at all?
- What causes people’s perceptions regarding the value of literature to change?
- Incorporate readings found in Chapters 1 through 3 to help illustrate the points you make.
Respond to Peers: Respond to at least two of your classmates’ initial posts. Each response should be at least 75 words in length and address two or more of the following points:
- Do you agree with your classmates’ perspectives? Why, or why not? Be specific.
- Ask a specific question to encourage further discussion on the topic.
- Challenge your classmates’ interpretation of literature and/or point of view.
- Do a small amount of research and share what you learn with your peers about the topic discussed in this post.
Purchase the answer to view it