1. Developing an approach to counseling is an ongoing and fluid process. Counselors in training tend to be drawn to a particular theory initially but modify it as they gain experience. Ultimately, your counseling orientation and style must:
2. ____________ believe that many symptoms stem from problems within the system rather than originating in the individual.
3. ____________ were developed for a wide range of psychological disorders. Their success ushered in the movement toward empirically supported treatments and evidence-based practice.
4. Which of the following is NOT an issue that the dynamics of couples therapy often involves?
5. Practitioners must have a clear understanding of ______________ and have a sense of the expected outcomes of their interventions.
6. Many believe it is wise to have a __________ when counseling couples due to the complexity of the work.
7. ____________ is a general term covering the process of identifying an emotional or behavioral problem and making a statement about the current status of a client.
8. Charles, a couples' therapist, recently met with a new couple seeking his services. During their initial meeting, Charles learned that the wife and husband are both in individual therapy. As an ethical practitioner, he should:
9. Empirical research _________the centrality of the therapeutic relationship as a primary factor contributing to psychotherapy outcomes.
10. Which of the practitioners described below would NOT be an effective family therapist?
11. Which of the following factors is NOT a best predictor of treatment outcome?
12. Which of the following statements about differing perspectives on confidentiality with multiple clients is FALSE?
13. ____________ uses assessment to understand the client’s pattern of thinking and to identify self-defeating beliefs.
14. Practitioners who argue AGAINST diagnosis:
15. In ____________, sexist attitudes and patriarchal assumptions are examined for their impact on family relationships.
16. ____________ is raised in establishing criteria of psychosocial dysfunction, assessing the problems of the identified patient in the family context, and devising treatment strategies.
17. In the case of domestic violence, clinicians agree that conducting couples therapy while there is ongoing domestic violence:
18. When a counselor works in a managed care system, client's goals need to be:
19. Some people are reluctant to engage in family therapy because:
20. Competence in working with couples and families only comes with:
Purchase the answer to view it