Discussion board science[email protected]
Topic 1: Food Chains
Most biological energy on Earth can be traced back to one single source: the sun. Plants and blue-green algae use photosynthesis to trap the electromagnetic wave energy generated by the sun, transforming it into chemical energy in the form of food for themselves and for other creatures that eat them.
Sounds simple so far, right? In an effort to simplify the way you think about creatures and their energy relationships, you often use food chains that show a very clear link between creatures and the things that eat them. Here is one example:
Rose bush > Beetle > Robin > Domestic Cat > Coyote
Organisms are connected by an arrow that points toward the creature consuming it.
While this kind of chain is great for visualizing how some creatures eat, it is not very realistic since most creatures eat a variety of foods. Most robins, for example, like to eat many kinds of insects, not just beetles. It also does not take into account other organisms that contribute like parasites, detritivores, or decomposers.
For additional information, review the food chains and food webs resource.
To demonstrate how real creatures behave and to better portray the flow of energy through an ecological community, food webs are often used as described within the energy flow section of the module above.
Please respond to the following questions throughout the week.
1. Provide an example of a food chain in the area where you live.
2. Humans are parts of food chains and food webs, too. Where on a food web would you typically find humans (near the bottom with the producers, at the top with carnivores, or somewhere in between)? Explain.
3. What are some advantages of being part of a food web rather than a food chain?
For Questions 4–6, use the following food web for Lake Michigan:
Lake Michigan Food Web. (2016). Retrieved from https://www.glerl.noaa.gov//pubs/brochures/foodweb/LMfoodweb.pdf
To see this PDF, you will need to download the free Adobe Reader.
4. In the Lake Michigan food web, is it possible to identify the most important producer? Why or why not?
5. Provide at least two types of impacts that humans could have on this food web.
6. Read the description of the sea lamprey on page 2 of the food web. This species is described as non-native. They reached the lake through canals and locks built in the 1800s.
o What challenges could occur within a food web when a new predator like this is introduced into an ecosystem?
o Do you think steps should be taken to eradicate this species from the food web? Explain why or why not? If so, what steps can be implemented?
- 22 days ago
- Discount Assign
- Michelle GoodMan
- Tutor Cyrus Ken
- Amanda Smith
- runge-kutta acer
- Brainy Brian
- PROF. ANN
- Urgent Tutor
- Prof. Eliud Peterson
- Rachael Malk
- Ranchoddas Chanchad PhD
- Michelle Owens
- Paula Hog
- professor mitch
- Dr shamille Clara
- brilliant answers
- Dr. Beneve
- Emily Michael
- prof avril
- Ultimate GEEK
- Jessica Luis
- Angelina May
- Madam Josephine
- prof bradley
- Eva Green
- Catherine Owens
- Rey writer
- Stano 001
- Dr Willymartins
- Dr R Judy Mark
- American Tutor
- Ashley Ellie
- Dr Candice_2547
- kim woods
- Casey Celia
- RESPECT WRITER
- Wendy Lewis
- Terry Roberts
- RELIABLE PAPERS
- Miss Professor
- Bright Grades
- Jen Tech1
- Agher Editor
- Creative Geek
- Amelia Iris
- Top Notch Answer
- RonnieReagan PhD
- Uncle J
- Dr. Noor-ul-Amin
- A countryâs annual growth rates over a 10-year period are shown in the following table. YearGrowth Rate 1 5% 2 3 3 4 4 -2 5 -3 6 2 7 3 8 4 9 6 10 3 Instructions: In part a, round your answer...
- hw help 3/1
- 6 question quiz
- M3-Assignment 1: Discussion—Implementing a Marketing Database
- Design Analog Circuit Using Transistor
- ENG 122 English Composition II Ashford University
- Reducing Juvenile Weapons Crimes
- Role of Culture
- NOT RATEDFor this Essay, a minumum of 350mwords is required with references. Please respond to ALL questions below.
Most biological energy here on Earth can be traced back to one single source: the sun. Plants …4 years ago