Unit 1: Discussion 2
4545 unread replies.4545 replies.
You are required to post your initial answers by WEDNESDAY and your follow-up comments on the postings of your classmates are due on SUNDAY at midnight.
Please be sure that your comments to peers are substantive (see the Grading Rubric below). You should have a minimum of two postings for each thread and you will need to answer any questions I might ask you.
Make good use of the information in your textbook as well any resources you find online! Don't forget to correctly cite any source you use.
Points will be deducted for incorrectly cited references, lack of references and missed deadlines!
The following rubric will be used to score your discussion postings. There are 10 pts possible on each Discussion topic:
- Initial posting went beyond a basic response and provided a critical examination of the issue and/or demonstrated critical thinking.
- Follow-up response added new insight to the discussions and promoted ongoing dialogue.
- No errors in grammar or spelling
- Initial response conveyed the basic information and showed good content knowledge, but needed to expand on the reasoning and logic.
- Follow-up response would have benefited from incorporation of critical analysis and insight.
- Few errors in grammar or spelling with meaning very clear
- Discussion addressed the main points but lacks explanation or elaboration.
- Follow-up response provided minimal information and need significant improvement.
- Many errors in grammar or spelling making posting unclear.
- Initial response was vague, irrelevant or off-topic and/or was posted late or not all.
- Follow-up response was missing.
- Posting has so many errors in grammar and spelling that topic is not answered.
pH and the Scientific Method
Your book defines pH as the “measure of the relative acidity of a solution, ranging in value from 0 (most acidic) to 14 (most basic). pH stands for potential hydrogen and refers to the concentration of hydrogen ions.” (G-12) Living organisms (e.g., plants, animals, bacteria) require careful control of their internal pH, since they are sensitive to even small changes in pH. Homeostasis is the maintenance, by living organisms, of stable surroundings; this includes pH, as well as temperature, osmolarity, and a number of other environmental variables.
1. Explain how organisms that require a neutral environment survive and function despite metabolic activities that tend to shift pH toward either acidic or basic ends of the pH scale? Be specific!
You've read about the Scientific Method in our Unit 1 overview page and this unit's lecture. The scientific method is used unconsciously by many people on a daily basis, for tasks such as cooking and budgeting. Understanding how to apply the scientific method to these seemingly non-scientific problems can be valuable in furthering one's career and in making decisions. We talk about a hypothesis being used and tested, but a hypothesis is often confused with a prediction.
2. Explain what a hypothesis and a prediction are and how they are different.
3. Imagine that you notice that your neighbor's lawn is lusher and greener than yours. You observe your neighbor for several units and it appears that he treats his lawn no different than you, except for the fact that he applies a fertilizer. Based on this observation, identify a testable hypothesis that explains your observation and provide at least one prediction based on your hypothesis.
- Discount Assign
- Michel Owenns"
- Madam Michelle
- professor mitch
- KATHERINE BECKS
- ANN HARRIS
- Emily Blunt
- Dr R Judy Mark
- PROF washington watson
- All Works solver
- Catherine Owens
- Rosie September
- kim woods
- Rey writer
- RESPECT WRITER
- Jessica Luis
- Colossal Genius
- Angelina May
- Emily Michael
- Terry Roberts
- Taylor Rodman
- Wendy Lewis
- brilliant answers
- Quickly answer
- Dr Ava_Mia
- Miss Professor
- prof avril
- Doctor Okumu
- phyllis young
- Phd christine
- Dr. Elahi
- Ph.D A+ Grade
- QuALity Assign
- Jenny Boom
- Dr.Sanam sheikh
- Dr Candice_2547
- Homework Pro
- Saad Fahim
- Teacher Gift
UNIT 1 DISCUSSION 2
**I WILL SEND A SEPARATE MESSAGE HERE OF THE STUDENTS ANSWER THAT I NEED YOU TO REPLY TO. THANK YOU!
pH and the Scientific Method
Your book defines pH as the …
**I will post my peers response to the discussion as soon as someone posts. Please respond to my classmates post on a separate document.
Please be sure that your comments to peers …
I will post my classmates discussion for you to reply to once someone posts their response. Please reply in a separate document than the initial response to the Discussion. Please message …
Unit 2: Discussion 1
2929 unread replies.2929 replies.
You are required to post your initial answers by WEDNESDAY andyour follow-up comments on the postings of your classmates are due on …