Close Reading Assignment
Word Length: 500 words minimum; 750 words maximum
• A close reading asks you to carefully and thoughtfully read an essay, understand what it is communicating, analyze how it is communicating, and to evaluate the effectiveness of that
• You can choose one of the essays listed below to write the Close Reading Assignment about.
• Bruce Mau, “Imagining the Future”, The Walrus
• George Monbiot, "In an age of robots, schools are teaching our children to be redundant", The Guardian
• Kim Stanley Robinson, ”Empty half the Earth of its humans. It's the only way to save the planet”, The Guardian
• Kate Harris “Where Not to Travel in 2019 or Ever” The Walrus
1. A summary paragraph of the original essay, with a focus on paraphrasing the essay’s thesis
(main point), main supporting claims, and major evidence, rather than using direct quotes,
though a maximum of 3 direct quotes can be used in your summary paragraph.
2. An analysis paragraph that discusses how convincing the author was in using evidence to
support their thesis and main supporting claims using:
• A topic sentence that clearly outlines your evidence-based opinion about how convincing the author’s argument was;
• Evidence from the essay that supports your opinion about it. What specific language, or
claims, or reasoning in the essay led you to have your opinion? Quote and/or paraphrase
• Analysis of that evidence that explains why you understand it the way you do. If your
opinion were self-evident, you could just turn in the original essay as your proof, but
different people will have different ideas about the words or details you mention. Explain how you arrived at your opinion.
• Failure to follow formatting requirements will result in a loss of up to 5% of overall grade.
• Two paragraphs: one summary and one analytical.
• 500-word count minimum/750-word count maximum.
• Typewritten, 12-point Times New Roman font, DOUBLE-SPACED.
• Title: Close Reading Assignment.
• Format your document according to your chosen citation style (APA, MLA, etc.).
• Cite sources in-text using your chosen citation style (APA, MLA, etc.).
• Include a bibliography with all sources formatted correctly according to your chosen citation style at the end of your assignmen
- Miss Deanna
- Madam Michelle
- Prof tutor
- Aleena Sheikh
- The grAde
- Emily Blunt
- Dr. Ameerah
- Nora William
- Amanda Smith
- Dr shamille Clara
- RESPECT WRITER
- wizard kim
- Dr Candice_2547
- Jenny Boom
- Paula Hog
- Colossal Genius
- university work
- Catherine Owens
- Jessica Luis
- brilliant answers
- quality work for all
- Rey writer
- Angelina May
- K_FAM SOLUTIONS
- Emily Michael
- Doctor Okumu
- Urgent Tutor
- Quickly answer
- kim woods
- Miss Professor
- prof avril
- Brilliant Geek
- Phd christine
- work solutions
- Wendy Lewis
- Academic Mentor
- phyllis young
- Dr. Elahi
- Terry Roberts
- Ph.D A+ Grade
- Saad Fahim
- Bismillah Tutor
- Prof Solutttions
- American History Homework
- Discussion Question
- teacher Charles
- georgia healthcare access
- For Surahsign
- Biology H3
- only for Lady Hawkins
- UOP PM586 final exam 2015 (A++++ Answer) 30/30
- FOR AMERICAN TUTOR ONLY: Help w/ Questions - DUE THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 8, 2016, NO LATER THAN 6:00 P.M. PDT
- Issues of the Underground Economy(njosh only)
1. Please read and FOLLOW the instructions!!!
2. write a 500-750 words essay in 2 paragraphs: one summary, and one analytical
3. the article to analysis:
George Monbiot, "In an age of robots, …