Civic Engagement Project
Here is your opportunity to earn up to 20 points while improving your community. You must carefully follow the steps below to earn the points:
1. Identify one problem in your local community. It can be a pothole near your home, a streetlight that went out, gang activity, bad school for your kid/s attend, etc. You decide which problem you would like to address.
2. Identify the appropriate local elected official (Mayor, City Council Person, School Board Member, County Supervisor, etc.) responsible for addressing the problem.
3. Write a short - no more than one page - handwritten letter to your elected official describing the problem and requesting a speedy remedy.
4. Do not disclose you are writing the letter as a class project. Identify yourself simply with your name and as a resident of the community. No need to mention if you are a foreign student, citizen or your legal status. They are responsible for helping you regardless.
5. Write a 500 - 600 word post explaining (This is due 9/1/2019):
a. why you picked this problem (1 point),
b. how did you identify the elected official responsible for remedying it (1 point),
c. what is your ideal remedy (1 point), and
d. take a good picture of your handwritten letter (use your phone if you do not have a scanner) and upload it with your post as an attachment (2 points). Make sure your return address is covered before you take the picture. This is also due 9/1/2019.
e. hand-write the name and address of your local elected official on an envelope, place appropriate postage take a picture of the stamped envelope with the official's name, title, and address. Make sure to cover your return address before taking the picture. This is also due 9/1/2019. (2 points).
f. Mail your letter. This is also due 9/1/2019.
6. Thoughtfully respond to at least two of your classmates' posts - in at least 150 but no more than 200 words - and the respective handwritten letters (2 points). This is due 9/8/2019.
7. If you followed all the instructions above carefully, you should receive a written response from your elected official in the mail in two to three weeks.
8. Take a good picture of the letter from your elected official and post it here as an attachment and in at least 200 but no more than 300 words. Then write your thoughts about the outcome of this exercise and how it empowered you (3 points). This is due 10/6/2019.
9. Answer the following questions in no more than two sentences each (1 point for each answer). These also are due 10/6/2019.
a. What academic concepts became clear in this exercise?
b. What is your understanding about the differences between academic concepts in the classroom and their practical application in the community?
c. How can you use this course material in the community?
d. Did it differ from your initial expectations?
e. How does your civic experience and academic knowledge inform your understanding of systemic causes of the social, political, or civic issues?
f. What did you learn from your participation and the feedback from your classmates?
g. Why does this experience matter?
h. What might/should be done in light of it?
Remember to hand-write all your correspondence with your elected official.
- Quality Assignments
- Grace Grades
- Dr. Rocal
- Bethuel Best
- A+ Team_here
- Dr. Ameerah
- Math Guruu
- Paula Hog
- Dr. Ignatius
- Miss Brigit
- Rosie September
- Prof James Kelvin
- Megan Tillman
- Dominant Answers
- The quA+lity
- Psychology Expert
- Emily Blunt
- Catherine Owens
- RESPECT WRITER
- Wendy Lewis
- ANN HARRIS
- KATHERINE BECKS
- Asad Ullah
- Reem Hasan
- Dr Candice_2547
- Jenny Boom
- kim woods
- Jessica Luis
- brilliant answers
- Rey writer
- Homework Pro
- Dr shamille Clara
- Miss Professor
- Terry Roberts
- Ellen Forbes
- prof avril
- MBA MASTER
- Proff. VenaWells
- Magic Solutions
- Tiny Chris
- Callie Thorne
- Jamie Acker
- work solutions
- Emily Clare
- First Class Expert Tutor
- Quickly answer
- phyllis young
- quality work for all
- Phd isaac newton
- Eva Green
- Harris Khan
- Emily Michael
- Dr. Elahi
- Saad Fahim
- Engineering Guru
- XBIS 219 Week 6 Assignment Club IT, Part 2
- Discussion Post. Plagarism checker will be used
- HSM 210 Week 4 Assignment Examining Government Regulations
- HSM 210 Week 1 CheckPoint Deinstitutionalization of the Mentally Ill
- HCS 430 Week 4 Individual Assignment Professional Regulation and Criminal Liability Paper
- XBIS 219 Week 6 Assignment Club IT, Part 2
- COM 220-Week 8-Checkpoint Research Paper Revision
- Use 6 balls or 6 different candies numbered 1-6 or 6 colors or six distinct objects of same size ( not paper)...
- Emerging groups of criminals have become more sophisticated and more threatening, and additional crime groups have been added to the pantheon known as “organized crime.”