Changes in medical educationRhodina33
Write a 3–5-page paper that analyzes the changes that have occurred in medical education from the 1800s to today. Compare and contrast the apprenticeship and academic models of medical education and provide examples.
Much has changed in American medicine since the establishment of the first medical school in 1765 at the College of Philadelphia. At that time, physicians had very little professional training, and much of their training was unregulated—as was the treatment they provided to patients. As the medical profession became more established and education became more formal, the rules governing who could practice medicine also became more formal and restricted.
With the formation of the American Medical Association (AMA) in 1876, more medical schools required a four-year degree in order to qualify for medical practice, and the attempt to focus on quality became stronger. However, since many physicians were already from the "old school," it was difficult to make the necessary changes that might restrict or diminish those educated earlier. Not until outside organizations began to exert pressure to enforce standards in education did improvements in training begin to be seen.
Demonstration of Proficiency
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the course competencies through the following assessment scoring guide criteria:
• Competency 3: Analyze the development of medical education in the United States.o Analyze the scope of change in medical education from the 1800s to today.o Compare and contrast the apprenticeship model and the academic model of medical education.o Analyze why it is important to understand the history of medicine in order to improve medical education.• Competency 4: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and respectful of the diversity, dignity, and integrity of others.o Produce writing that conveys understanding of the topic, its context, and its relevance.o Use academic writing conventions such as APA formatting and citation style, or others as required.o Produce writing that includes minimal grammar, usage, and mechanical errors, including spelling.
For this assessment, you will analyze the changes that have occurred in medical education from the 1800s to today.
Write a 3–5-page paper that addresses the following points:
• Analyze the scope of change in medical education from the 1800s to today.• Compare and contrast the apprenticeship and academic models of medical education.o How have the two evolved over time?• Evaluate the importance of understanding the history in order to help improve medical education in the future.• Provide examples that illustrate your points.
Organize your paper using the following headings (these headings are required):
• Title Page.• Introduction.o Preview the main themes of your paper.• The Changing Scope of Medical Education.o Analyze the scope of change in medical education from the 1800s to today.• Apprenticeship Model versus Academic Model.o Describe both models.o Compare and contrast their features.o Analyze how they have evolved over time.• Improving Medical Education by Understanding History.o Evaluate the importance of understanding the history of medical education in order to help improve medical education in the future.• Conclusion.o Summarize the main themes of your paper.• References.
• Your paper will be a minimum of 3–5 double-spaced pages in length, not including title and reference pages.• Font: Times New Roman 12-point.• Cite at least four references.• Format your paper according to APA style.
- 3 months ago
- Management planning presentation
- Ashford University: Reflection Paper
- project mgmt 7
- oasis table needs proper formatting with citation
- ACS Code of Conduct - For Ultimate_Writer Only
- Katetutor (ONLY)
- Given the market structures as described in the video, identify at least two articles from the ProQuest database that highlight...
- Algebra Question
- Dante's work was known throughout the Western World in its time and beyond. Why do you believe that even today,...
- Science in Science Friction Exam