No directly quoted material may be used in this project paper.
Final Project - Case Study: Police Department Consent Decree/Agreement
You are assigned to the Research and Development Unit of the Virtual Police Department. The Unit Director asked you to prepare a presentation for the Chief on U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) consent decrees and agreements. It seems one of the Chief's close professional colleagues is now subject to such an agreement. The Chief wants to be sure he has done everything possible to avoid finding the Virtual Police Department in a similar predicament. The format of the presentation is quite simple. Using a selected city that is currently under (or has recently been under) a DOJ consent decree/agreement as reference, provide the Chief with direction on how to avoid being subject to DOJ oversight.
Review the document, "Addressing Police Misconduct Laws Enforced by the Department of Justice"
or the same document using an alternate link
Select one of the following as your subject case study police department:
- The Oakland (California) Police Department http://www2.oaklandnet.com/government/o/OPD/DOWD004998 and https://oaklandnorth.net/2011/12/20/twelve-years-after-the-riders-a-long-legal-process-is-reaching-its-final-stage/
- The Seattle (Washington) Police Department https://www.justice.gov/crt/investigation-documents
- The Baltimore (Maryland) Police Department https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-reaches-agreement-city-baltimore-reform-police-department-s
Research: Starting with the link provided, continue your research on the basis for and actions attentive to the subject consent decree/agreement, Review all of the pertinent documents, articles, websites, etc. until you feel you have a thorough understanding sufficient to respond to the Assignment questions.
- Briefly describe the situation(s) and/or event(s) that led up to DOJ oversight in the form of a consent decree/agreement (no more than 20% of the paper)
- Briefly outline the provisions of the consent decree/agreement. What actions is the department required to take? What changes is the department required to make? (no more than 20% of the paper)
- Connect the provisions of the consent decree/agreement to the initiating causes.
- Describe in detail what the Virtual Police Department needs to do in order to avoid following in the footsteps of the subject police department or otherwise find itself subject to DOJ oversight in the form of a consent decree/agreement (no less than 40% of the paper)
Formatting requirements: Your report should include:
- The Final Project must be submitted as a Microsoft Word document
- a cover page with your name, project title, course, and date submitted
- Paper must be double spaced, 11 or 12 pt font and 1” margins all around.
- All APA 7th edition format requirements must be followed (cover page, in text citations, reference page). Refer to APA/UMGC - learning resources found in the content page of this course.
- You must have resources to support your thoughts/opinions/information. These must be cited both in text as well as at the end of the document. Your paper should not contain direct quotes, sourced material must be paraphrased.
- A minimum of three (3) outside sources not directly connected to the consent decree/agreement of the selected subject police department
- 4 months ago
- History Question 500 words or more
- DB 5
- CASE STUDY. Case Study Rubric Become familiar with case substance What are the facts? What is happening? Is all relevant information available to you? Determine central issues What decisions need to be made? Who is responsible for making decisions? What
- Unit VIII Reflection Paper
- Health care marketers
- discussion 9
- GEN499 Week 2 Discussion 1 Final Argumentative Paper Topic
- question 10-2
- Business in the Global Economy; Business & Government Responsibility, Ethics; Four Types of Competition: Homework (1); Analysis - Examine the...
- Week 4