Assignment due Monday before 10:59 pm central time
Week 3 - Assignment
Choosing an Observational System
As a leader in the field of early childhood education, it is important that you understand principles of effective assessment and appropriate strategies for documenting what you are observing. The actual observing of children is fairly straightforward, but observation without documentation only provides a partial picture. It is the detailed records kept over time that reveal growth in many areas. “There are multiple published and unpublished classroom observation systems available for use, and deciding among them is the first step in putting an observational system to work in your organization” (Stuhlman, Hamre, Downer & Pianta, n.d., 2). For this assignment, you will model, in the form of a presentation, the depth of your understanding of each type of documentation technique. This includes not only the advantages and disadvantages of each, but also proper procedure and appropriate times to use each.
To prepare for this assignment, read How to Select the Right Classroom Observation Tool (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. Then, consider the following scenario as a basis for your presentation:
With all of the focus surrounding assessment recently, as the leader in your organization, you have decided now is a good time to provide professional development on this topic for your staff. Your goal is to help your staff conduct more effective observations in their classrooms.
Your presentation should include the following, using PowerPoint or Google Slides with voice narration:
- Create a minimum of three learning objectives for your presentation. These objectives should guide your presentation and should be listed on the first slide.
- Summarize each observation tool your center or school uses, including but not limited to, anecdotal records, running records, time sampling, and event sampling.
- Describe how each observation type is used (for planning, etc.) and the benefits of each.
- Determine what ethical issues must be considered when using these tools. Cite specific examples from the NAEYC Code of Ethical Conduct. (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- Explain how each observation type fits within the “High Priority Questions” from How to Select the Right Classroom Observation Tool (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. (p. 2) and, thus, guides your decision-making process.
- Describe the specific areas of development each observation type is best suited for. Explain why.
- Explain how each observation type will assist with the identification of developmental concerns, and describe the intervention strategies needed to support those concerns.
- Using one of Colorado Department of Education videos, conduct a walkthrough (a step-by-step explanation) on how to observe one of those children using one of the four documentation forms of your choice.
- At least two scholarly peer-reviewed or credible sources
Writing and Formatting Expectations:
- Title Page: Must include the following:
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Academic Voice: Academic voice is used (avoids casual language, limited use of “I”, it is declarative).
- Purpose and Organization: Demonstrates logical progression of ideas.
- Syntax and Mechanics: Writing displays meticulous comprehension and organization of syntax and mechanics, such as spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- APA Formatting: Papers are formatted properly and all sources are cited and referenced in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..
- Suggested Assignment Length: Your power point should be 8-10 slides in length (not including title and reference slides).
Next Steps: Review and Submit the Assignment
Review your assignment with the Grading Rubric to ensure you have achieved the distinguished levels of performance for each criterion. Next, submit the assignment for evaluation no later than Day 7.
- Arizona Writer
- Quality Assignments
- ANN HARRIS
- Asad Ullah
- Doctor Okumu
- Dr Candice_2547
- KATHERINE BECKS
- prof avril
- All Works solver
- Atta ur Rehman
- Catherine Owens
- The quA+lity
- professor mitch
- Wendy Lewis
- Angelina May
- Professor Lizz
- brilliant answers
- work solutions
- Rey writer
- Jenny Boom
- Dr R Judy Mark
- Terry Roberts
- ENS. writer
- Dr shamille Clara
- phyllis young
- Jessica Luis
- Sara Waynes
- Ph.D A+ Grade
- nadia tutor
- Emily Michael
- For SmartZena only
- finance calculations on excell
- SCI 220 Nutrition and Health
- Psychosocial Dimensions of Terrorism Indivual Assignment
- Ben Brown bought a home for $225,000. He put down 20%. The mortgage is at 6 1/2% for 30 years. By using the table in the handbook, his monthly payment is
- BUS ETHICS final
- MSFT SEC10K
- ARTH: SULLIVAN