- Field: Education
Due Week 3 and Worth 260 Points
Write a five to seven (5-7) page paper in which you:
- Take a position on whether or not Anthony’s explanation of why he was using the n-word made his actions less of a problem. Take a position on whether or not there are any circumstances in which it would be appropriate for someone to use the n-word or any variation of it in a classroom or school, and explain those circumstances. Provide a rationale for your position.
- Suggest at least one (1) alternate way that Ms. Lawson might have decreased tension in the class following the incident instead of chastising Keisha and ordering her to sit down. Analyze how the way you suggested would have addressed Keisha’s comments, and the feelings underneath them, more effectively.
- Examine at least one (1) other way that Ms. Lawson might have checked in with Reggie following the incident instead of calling attention to him in front of the whole class and causing him embarrassment. Analyze whether the way you chose would have more effectively allowed Reggie to express his true feelings.
- Determine how you would handle the necessary task, after this incident, of addressing the use of the n-word with the class. Provide a list of steps that you would take, as well as a rationale for your response.
- Use at least four (4) peer-reviewed academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and many Websites do not qualify as academic resources. Peer-reviewed academic resources refer to articles and scholarly journals that are reviewed by a panel of experts or peers in the field. View for more information on obtaining peer-reviewed academic resources through your Blackboard course shell.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Examine the historical context of contemporary issues in education.
- Survey and analyze issues facing the changing demographics of education.
- Critique issues related to teaching, learning and assessment within schools.
- Use technology and information resources to research contemporary issues in education
- Write clearly and concisely about contemporary issues in education using proper writing mechanics