Context: Art and Craft
You will examine the importance of context in art by considering the evaluation of objects as either art or craft, and how the removal of objects from their original context can affect our interpretation of them.
- First, view the following video, which discusses the difference between art and craft: What's the Difference Between Art and Craft?
- Read the following New York Times article on this debate: Beyond Cultural Labeling, Beyond Art Versus Craft
- Then respond to all parts of the following questions:
- Discuss the differences between art and craft; art, artisan, and craftsperson; the minor arts and the major arts, and whether you think these distinctions are valuable or not.
- How does context and purpose affect the way an object is classified?
- Can artifacts and art objects be fully appreciated if removed from their original context? Why or why not? Upload an image of one object (captioned with artist, title, date) you reference in your post.
Reply to other students who might differ from your thoughts on art and craft. How does context, intent, and technique factor into your thoughts?
To receive full credit students must do the following:
- Write 1 substantive original response* to all parts of the question before the initial posting deadline.**
* Responses should be a minimum of 200 words.
- Include an image that refers to your post, properly cited references and resources in MLA format.
- Photographic references should be labeled to include artist name, title, date, and media (when available).
- Downsize all images to 500 px or less before embedding them into your post.
- a month ago
- Quality Assignments
- Urgent Tutor
- Michelle Owens
- Ultimate GEEK
- Agher Editor
- Prof Allan
- Amanda Smith
- Catherine Owens
- Madam Josephine
- Ashley Ellie
- Terry Roberts
- brilliant answers
- Angelina May
- runge-kutta acer
- kim woods
- Miss Lily J.
- Jen Tech1
- Creative Geek
- michael smith
- phyllis young
- Bright Grades
- Madam Bridgit01
- Phd christine
- Top Notch Answer
- for archmage
- Live Free and Starve
- RES 341 Week 5 Assignment Memo
- RES 341 Week 1 Individual Assignment Current Business Research Project Paper
- sociology forum
- Marketing strategy
- OMM 615 Week 6 DQ 1 ( Public Relations ) ~ ( Latest Syllabus - Perfect Tutorial - Scored 100% )
- Corporate Finance
- BUS 680 Week 4 DQ 2 Review Questions
- 6 HOURS