This assignment normally requires for you to visit an original artwork in person.
However, this is no longer a requirement. You may do this same assignment using any work from THE GOOGLE ART PROJECT (Links to an external site.)
For the image requirements for this paper please submit a screen shot (feel free to crop the image) of the artwork you chose from THE GOOGLE ART PROJECT. You can also download an image from another website to illustrate your paper, but please remember to cite the source of the image in your works cited page.
1) Print off these instructions and the Formal Analysis Worksheet before you go.
2) Perform a detailed formal analysis of a single work of art WHILE YOU ARE IN FRONT OF THE WORK.
a) This is an exercise in looking. Therefore, any discussion of the artist's biography, historical context, or your personal experience will not be counted towards the word count.
b) Your essay should include a discussion of all the elements and principles listed in the Formal Analysis Guide
Actions. Each element and each principle should be addressed using three sentences. You discussion of each element or each element may discuss one example in depth, or several examples. For example, you might use three sentences to discuss the color in a figure's shirt, or you might identify the artist's use of color in three different places.
c) To organize your essay, your overall argument and conclusion should address how the artists used the principle of emphasis.
d) Your essay should be 1000-1500 words. Use APA or MLA format.
3) Turn in an image of the artwork with your essay.
4) Not required: Turn in a picture of yourself in front of the artwork or the museum as proof of having visited.
5) Compositional Design. A compositional design is the student's visual expression of how the elements and principles work in a specific work of art. No two students will ever have the same compositional design on the same painting. For an example of a compositional design for the painting Las Meninas, see 1.10.12c on p. 185 in your textbook. As you can see, a compositional design is not a recreation of the work of art, but instead it shows the relationships between the elements and principles and emphasizes the ones that are most important.
CHOOSING AN ARTWORK: (Please note that you are not required to see an artwork in person.)
For the purposes of this assignment please chose your artwork carefully. No copies or reproductions! In other words, the work must be one of a kind.
It must be a work that is publicly exhibited and the main purpose of the object is to be art.
For this assignment, the work must be a painting, sculpture, or drawing.
Places where works of art can be found:
- Public buildings such as churches, city and federal government buildings, and hospitals.
- Museum of Art or an Art Gallery
This EXCLUDES items whose main purpose has some other function – Such as:
- A car
- Holiday decorations
- Historical exhibits at a history museum
- Scientific exhibits at a science museum
- Any other exhibit at a non-art museum or non art-related institution (such as NASA.)
- Ballet or other dance performance
- Music/ Musical concerts
If you have concerns about the art you have chosen, send a picture and ask before turning it in.
Some DFW Area museums and galleries are listed below. Always check out the website before you leave for hours, fees, and parking. Some places offer discounts for students.
- Fort Worth Modern (Contemporary Art)
- Kimbell Art Museum (Fort Worth, variety of art)
- Dallas Museum of Art (variety of art)
- Meadows Museum (Spanish art and modern sculpture on SMU campus)
- Nasher Sculpture Garden (modern sculpture)
- Amon Carter Museum (American Art - Fort Worth)
- UTA's Art Gallery (Student art)
- Arlington Museum of Art (Local art)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center Art Collection
- 22 days ago
- Dr Michelle Maya
- Dr. Michelle_KM
- Math Guruu
- Tutor Cyrus Ken
- Quality Assignments
- Dr. Rachael Malk
- Quickly answer
- Creative Geek
- PROF. ANN
- Brainy Brian
- Dr. Elahi
- Amanda Smith
- Dr. Diana_Ashley
- Dr. Adeline Zoe
- wizard kim
- Wendy Lewis
- Ultimate GEEK
- Rey writer
- runge-kutta acer
- Catherine Owens
- Dr. Beneve
- michael smith
- Maria the tutor
- Abdullah Anwar
- MEERAB NAEEM
- Angelina May
- Phd isaac newton
- A+GRADE HELPER
- Ranchoddas Chanchad PhD
- RESPECT WRITER
- Brilliant Geek
- Rose Wilson
- Taylor Rodman
- kim woods
- Urgent Tutor
- All Works solver
- JOHN JUNIOR001
- brilliant answers
- Miss Professor
- Stano 001
- prof avril
- Erick Tyler
- Ashley Ellie
- Prof Nato(PhD)
- Sasha Spencer
- Bridget Young
- MISS MLUCK
- Sally Sutton
- Expert Humaira
- Star writer
- Dr. Noor-ul-Amin
- professor Eleven
- ECO HW HELP! GAME Theory
- Neoanalytic, Jungian, and Individual Psychology Theory Application
- History of African Americans since 1877
- my baby is sick and i have no time to complete this assignment. Can someone lend me a hand?
- BUS508 Week 1 Assignment
- HOMEWORK EXPERT
- masie was asked to go find out what affects the strength of electromagnets. she was given a simple electromagnet made...
- write a term paper on the Importance of Police Code of Ethics
- finale/hifsa shaukat
- simple essay