Applying Psychology to my lifetmillan86
APPLYING PSYCHOLOGY TO MY LIFE
Due Sunday by midnight of Week 3.
Over the past three weeks you have been exposed to many concepts, theories and terms related to psychology. Now is the time to make personal application of some of the terms you have studied. This personal application of concepts learned is one of the things that makes psychology such an interesting area of study. Not all courses of study have such a direct application to our own lives. You will select four (4) of the following terms or concepts. You will read and research at least three scholarly sources and then identify, discuss and place each concept in proper context. After you have identified each concept you will then explain ways each concept can be applied to your own life with examples. I hope you enjoy your research and the personal application.
Please select four of the following concepts or theories.
- Social changes in life-span development
- Positive reinforcement, negative reinforcement and punishment
- Issues related to gender and sexuality
- Motivation and emotion
- Health psychology, stress and coping strategies
- Psychological Disorders and other Mental Health Issues
- Concepts of interpersonal relationships
You are required to write at least 750 words. This paper is worth 20% of your grade. Please use the APA format, cite and list at least three (3) sources. You are not required to include an abstract.
APA 7th edition sample paper template
Following the link, click on to download the Student Sample paper. Use this as a template to format your paper correctly in APA per the 7th edition.
The PDF has more explanation.
To submit your paper click on the Applying Psychology to My Life Paper link under Week 3. Then click on the View/Complete link at the bottom of the page. Then attach your paper. Follow the directions below for a step-by-step process.
Here are some websites that may be helpful to you:
Assignment Requirements (Use as a checklist):
- Correct font
- Double-space paper
- Minimum of 750 words. No more than 1,000 words
- Minimum of three (3) cited sources
- Use APA format and parenthetical citations right after cited material (See below)
- Make sure your name is on your paper
What is a parenthetical citation right after the material you cited?
It is when you place the source in parenthesis ( ) right after the sentence you cited instead of waiting until the end of the paper. It helps the reader to know exactly what sentences and paragraphs are taken from particular sources.
Example: Place the author's name and the source's date of publication in parentheses immediately after the end of the cited material.
- Psychology is defined as the science of behavior and mental processes (Coon, p. 12)
- Families with no telephone service have difficulty accessing social services for which they are qualified (Benton Foundation, 1998, chap. 2, "Societal Priorities"). http://www.bedfordstmartins.com/online/cite6.html
- Use spell and grammar check
- Make sure you indented paragraphs (5 spaces in)
- Balance – Each paragraph should be similar in length
Parenthetical (In-Text) Citations
A parenthetical (in-text) citation is when you place the source in parenthesis ( ) right after the sentence you cited instead of waiting until the end of the paper. It helps the reader to know exactly what sentences and paragraphs are taken from particular sources.
Place the author's name and the source's date of publication in parentheses immediately after the end of the cited material. If it is a direct quote, include the page number as well. For example: "Psychology is defined as the science of behavior and mental processes" (Coon, 2012 p. 12).
If you have paraphrased the information then you do not need to include the page number. For example: Psychology is a scientific field that specifically studies both mental processes and the associated behaviors (Coon et al., 2012).
- Always use spell and grammar check
- Make sure you indented the first line of a paragraph (10 spaces or half an inch in)
- Balance – Each paragraph should be similar in length
- Review the APA video and resource in Student Resources under Course Home
- You can send your paper to the Keiser Online Writing Lab (OWL) for review and to ask for help.
A Quick Guide to Referencing Sources
Author, A. A. (Year of publication). Title of work: Capital letter also for subtitle. Location: Publisher.
Example: Calfee, R. C., & Valencia, R. R. (1991). APA guide to preparing manuscripts for journal publication. , American Psychological Association.
Article or Chapter in an Edited Book
Author, A. A., & Author, B. B. (Year of publication). Title of chapter. In A. Editor & B. Editor (Eds.), Title of book (pages of chapter). Publisher.
Example: O'Neil, J. M., & Egan, J. (1992). Men's and women's gender role journeys: A metaphor for healing, transition, and transformation. In B. R. Wainrib (Ed.), Gender issues across the life cycle (pp. 107-123). Springer.
Article from Library Database
Author, A. A., Author, B. B., & Author, C. C. (Year). Title of article. Title of Periodical, volume number (issue number), pages.
Example: Harlow, H. F. (1983). Fundamentals for preparing psychology journal articles. Journal of Comparative and Physiological Psychology, 55(3), 893-896.
Note - If the article can also be found in print you do no need to provide the database or online location.
If there is a doi # that should also be given at the end of the reference.
Author, A. A., & Author, B. B. (Date of publication). Title of article. Title of Journal, volume number, page range. doi:0000000/000000000000
Example: Brownlie, D. (2007). Toward effective poster presentations: An annotated bibliography. European Journal of Marketing, 41(11/12), 1245-1283. doi:10.1108/03090560710821161
Article in Online Journal
Author, A. A., & Author, B. B. (Date of publication). Title of article. Title of Online Periodical, volume number(issue number if available). Retrieved from http://www.someaddress.com/full/url/
Bernstein, M. (2002). 10 tips on writing the living Web. A list apart: For people who make websites, 149. Retrieved from http://www.alistapart.com/articles/writeliving
Author, A. A., Author, B. B., & Author, C. C. (Year). Title of article. Retrieved from http://webaddress.com
Example: Cressia, L. L. (1997). Copyright and fair use: Future of fair use. Retrieved from http://www.cas.usf.edu/english/walker/courses/fall97/concl.html
Web Page without Author
Bipolar disorder. National Institute of Mental Health. Retrieved from http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/bipolar-disorder/complete-index.shtml
Online Lecture Notes or Presentation Slides
Hallam, A. Duality in consumer theory [PDF document]. Retrieved from Lecture Notes Online Web site: http://www.econ.iastate.edu/classes/econ501/Hallam/index.html
Author, A. A. (Year, Month Day). Title of article. Title of Newspaper. Retrieved from http://www.someaddress.com/full/url/
Example: Parker-Pope, T. (2008, May 6). Psychiatry handbook linked to drug industry. The New York Times. Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com
Graphics, Audio, or Video Files
CBS News. (2006). MLK Jr.’s legacy [Video]. Available from http://www.cbsnews.com
For files without titles, use the file name instead.
press-image4.jpg [Graphic]. Retrieved from http://universe.nasa.gov/images/press-image4.jpg
Online Encyclopedias or Dictionaries
Feminism. (n.d.). In Encyclopædia Britannica online. Retrieved from http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/724633/feminism
Bartow, A. (2006, March 26). Parody is fair use! Sivacracy.net. Retrieved from http://www.nyu.edu/classes/siva/
Psychology Video Blog #3 [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqM90eQi5-M
Interview, Emails, or other Personal Communication
No personal communication is included in your reference list; instead, parenthetically cite the communicator's name, the phrase "personal communication," and the date of the communication in your main text only.
(E. Robbins, personal communication, January 4, 2001).
Example of how this would be presented as an in-text citation: E. Robbins also claimed that many of her students had difficulties with APA style (personal communication, January 4, 2001).
Reference : Purdue Online Writing Lab. Retrieved from http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/
A Few Other Helpful Websites on Referencing Sources
- APA Online – Electronic Resources: http://www.apastyle.org/elecref.html
- The OWL (Online Writing Lab) at Keiser is a great resource! -They will read and help you edit your papers.
- APA Power Point Presentation under the Course Home heading of your Student Resources
- APA Citation Guide: How to cite anything in APA Format - Bib Me http://www.bibme.org/citation-guide/apa/
- Online Writing Lab at Purdue University: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/
Four concepts identified with a personal application (20 points each)
APA-style in-text citations (at least three)
APA-style references list at end of the paper
- There will be a 20-pt. penalty for writing less than 750 words on this assignment.
- There will be a 10-pt. penalty for each day the assignment is late. It is due Sunday, by midnight, at the end of week 3.
- There will be a 100-pt. penalty for plagiarizing. This means a 0. If in doubt, cite, cite, cite.\
Last, but not least, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
- 7 months ago
- Genuine Genius
- Quality Assignments
- Dr Michelle Maya
- Dr. Diana_Ashley
- Tutor Cyrus Ken
- Dr. Michelle_KM
- PROFESSOR URGENT
- HELPER WRITER
- Creative Geek
- Rewrick Patand
- quality work for all
- Quickly answer
- Emily Clare
- Teacher A+ Work
- Amanda Smith
- Abdullah Anwar
- Emily Michael
- runge-kutta acer
- Brainy Brian
- wizard kim
- ANN HARRIS
- Jessica Luis
- Dr. Rachael Malk
- michael smith
- Prof James Kelvin
- Paula Hog
- Ultimate GEEK
- American Tutor
- Ranchoddas Chanchad PhD
- Chloe Howard
- brilliant answers
- Camile Faith
- PROF. ANN
- Catherine Owens
- Prof. Frank
- Psychology Expert
- Urgent Tutor
- Erick Tyler
- Rey writer
- Wendy Lewis
- Terry Roberts
- MEERAB NAEEM
- kim woods
- Dr Ava_Mia
- Dr.Zara Hayat
- Colossal Genius
- Phd isaac newton
- Miss Professor
- Angelina May
- KATHERINE BECKS
- Prof. Johnstar
- Dr Candice_2547
- Fiona Dava
- MathStats Acer
- Prof Bila Shaka
- phyllis young
- Phd christine
- Dr.Sanam sheikh
- Callie Thorne
- Prof Hangoi
- MISS MLUCK
- Prof Nato(PhD)
- Casey Celia
- Prof. sigmud freud
- Coleen Anderson
- Madam Josephine
- Dr-Amna haseeb
- Tutor faith
- HUM 130 Week 2 DQ 2.docx
- Database Technology
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of using standard protocols and reference models such as the Open Systems Interconnection? Identify at least three of each.
- After one interview, Sam overhears the interviewer tell a co-worker that Sam, who is white, didn't get the job because whites are lazy. Is this employment discrimination? Explain.
- BUS 401 Week 1 Assignment
- Accounting homework
- Business & Technical Writing: An Informal Proposal
- Discussion—Integrating Pharmacotherapy in Treatment
- MGT-605 Module 5 DQ 3 - Why is determining your leadership point of view important…….
Applying theory to life10 months ago
- NOT RATED
Post the psychological disorder you are going to write about for your psychological paper. schizophrenia
The topic is due Sunday at midnight.
Chapter 14 will help you choose a psychological disorder.
…5 years ago
- NOT RATED
Urgent 2a year ago
- NOT RATED
APPLYING PSYCHOLOGY TO MY LIFE
Over the past three weeks you have been exposed to many concepts, theories and terms related to psychology. Now is the time to make personal application of some …8 months ago