Final Exam POLI 142K: Politics and Warfare
Due Friday, 6 September 2019, at 2:00pm
• The midterm exam is due Friday, 6 September 2019 at 2:00pm.
• You will be required to submit a digital copy of your paper to the Turnitin link on TritonEd. No hard copy is necessary. Please retain a copy of your submission confirmation.
• Due to University and Political Science Department deadlines, we will not be able to accept any papers after 12:00 Noon on Monday, 9 Septmeber 2019.
• All responses must be 5 to 6 pages in length (excluding the bibliography).
• Use standard formatting with:
– Double spacing, – 11 or 12 point font (Times, Helvetica, Calibri, etc.), – 1 inch margins, – No more than 1 inch of space dedicated to title and header, – No extraneous space between paragraphs or headers.
• Please include the number of the prompt you are responding to.
• Cite lecture and class readings where appropriate;
– Include a bibliography and in-text citations, – You may use any standard citation style, (MLA, APA, Chicago, etc.),
* Please note that all style guides provide a format for citing lecture, – Please do not use outside sources, – Plagiarism will not be tolerated.
• Please do not include pictures, charts, or figures in your responses. Please do not copy / paste scans of lecture notes into the text of your response.
• Stay on topic. Do not submit papers written for other courses.
• You must turn your exam in by the deadline to receive full credit. Any late exams (even by 1 minute late) will incur a penalty.
– Papers will be penalized by 13 of a letter grade for each day late (e.g., A– −→ B+, etc.), – The system will not accept late submissions. If you need to turn your paper in after the deadline,
please email a .pdf copy to [email protected]
• The TAs will not accept a screen shot of your document’s metadata as proof that you completed the assignment on time. In order to receive full credit, you must both complete the paper and submit it prior to the deadline.
• We recommend that you do not wait until the last minute to submit your exam, as you may encounter technical difficulties with your submission. Such difficulties will not excuse a late submission.
Choose and respond to one of the prompts below. You must cite lectures in every response; do not use outside sources.
1. Explain the complete version of combat compliance.
2. Explain the bargaining hypothesis explanation of domestic commitment.
3. Explain the wars of retribution.
4. Explain the coercion-based explanation of domestic commitment and combat compliance.
5. Explain the paradox of domestic commitment.
6. How did the four periods of warfare shape the problem of domestic commitment?
7. Explain the combat contract and illustrate it.