Eng. 210 Dr. Motai Topic 2/Persuasive/Online
PERSUASIVE SPEECH ASSIGNMENT / Fall 2020
HOW TO CREATE A PERSUASIVE SPEECH
· Choose a controversial topic that is important and that you really care about
· Have a clear position on your topic—for or against, yes or no, etc. You can’t have a “middle of the road” position.
· Read at least 2 factual articles about your topic, and consider using a personal experience if it backs up your arguments (reasons)
· Attempt to persuade your audience that your position is the correct one by presenting the reasons why your audience should support your position.
· State a common argument against your position (called a counter argument) and explain why it’s wrong.
· Conclude with an ‘appeal’: tell your audience what they can or should do to help.
Your overall goal is to convince your audience that your position is the one they should support and take action on. You will convince your audience by:
· being decisive about your position
· presenting clear reasons, reliable facts and possible personal experience
· speaking with enthusiasm and conviction
TIME LIMIT: 3:00 minutes minimum—4 minutes maximum. Strict time limits!
WHAT YOU’LL SUBMIT FOR THIS ASSIGNMENT
1. “My Persuasive Speech Topic With Links to My Research Articles”
2. “Research Article Reports”
3. “Persuasive Speech Type-In Final Outline (Template on iLearn)
4. Note Cards (use power point slides)