Week 3—Introduction to Ethics Final Paper
· The introduction is designed to define the topic (ex. Lateral violence in nursing—how is it defined? How prevalent is the problem? Are there distinguishing types of lateral violence? How does this affect the nursing population? Why is this topic an ethical dilemma for nurses/nursing profession?)
· The term “ethical dilemma” refers to a situation where choices need to be made, the answers may not be clear, the options are not ideal and there may be active barriers to a reasonable solution
· The topic is objectively defined and described. As nurses we have a duty to our patients to advocate for them. At the same time, we must keep ourselves out of the situation. This section must address the topic with objectivity and facts.
· There are no “I” statements or opinions voiced in this section—there will be a place for that in the Professional Response section.
· Use the rubric heading for this section of the paper (in fact, put all rubric headings in following the introduction so they are not overlooked when you are writing the rest of the paper).
· At least one professional journal article should be cited to substantiate the facts that are relevant to the overarching topic
· The paper introduction should be submitted in APA style (7th edition). Please familiarize yourself with APA and how to cite references. The following website is a quick and helpful tool to use when writing in APA style. https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and_citation/apa_style/apa_style_introduction.html
· The introduction will vary in length but should be at least one page (double-spaced 12-pt. font text).
Rubric for Introduction to Ethics Final Paper: