Week 1 Assignmentsquiqcylemarwus
Select one of the following speeches on the student website:
- “The Morality of Birth Control” by Margaret Sanger (1921)
- “1992 Republican National Convention Address: A Whisper of AIDS” by May Fisher (1992)
- “The Perils of Indifference” by Elie Wiesel (1999)
- President Dwight D. Eisenhower’s farewell address (1961)
- Theodore Roosevelt’s “Man With the Muck-Rake” (1906)
- Robert La Follette’s “Senate Address on Free Speech in War Time” (1917)
- Hillary Rodham Clinton’s “Remarks to the U.N. 4th World Conference on Women Plenary Session” (1995)
Listen to the speech by clicking the Audio mp3 link located below the video player, or scroll below the audio player to read a transcript of the speech.
Write a 350- to 500-word response to the following questions:
- What are some examples of bias, fallacies, and specific rhetorical devices in the speech you selected?
- How did the speaker address arguments and counterarguments?
- Were the speaker’s arguments effective? Explain your answer.
- 7 years ago