Some people claim that moral judgments or standards are merely the expressions of the feelings, attitudes, or commitments of a...cenmcm
Some people claim that moral judgments or standards are merely the expressions of the feelings, attitudes, or commitments of a society or culture—a position called cultural relativism. Other people claim that moral judgments or standards are merely the expressions of the feelings, attitudes, or commitments of individuals—a position called subjectivism. Both positions deny that there is any objective or reasonable basis for moral judgments or standards; in other words, there is no objective moral truth independent of the beliefs of individuals or cultures, which are fundamentally only conventional and arbitrary and could very well be quite different. (This is sometimes expressed as: "If he/she/they believe that it's right to do that kind of thing (adultery, abortion, polygamy, or whatever), then I guess it's right for him/her/them.") Explain, in your own words, these positions; and critically evaluate them. In thinking about these positions, should one distinguish between different kinds of moral issues, say, between the morality or immorality of one's sexual conduct on the one hand, and the morality or immorality of racial or ethnic prejudice or discrimination on the other hand? What about moral issues involving tolerance, respect for others, etc. Is the claim that we ought to respect other persons (which is clearly a moral position) also merely subjective and arbitrary? Why or why not? What are your arguments in support of your position(s) on these issues?
- 9 years ago
- Consider an ethical dilemma you or someone you know faced recently. Write a one- to two-page paper reflecting upon the...
- 500 word answer to each of the two questions.
- Topic = petriotism and its deteriorating value system Hint= introduction , sense of petriotism every society , existence of the deteriorated...
- Provide answers to the following questions. 1) Define imagination and discuss its relationship to literature. 2) What are some books that stimulated your...
- What are 4 words That do not use proper meaning?
- what is a champion? And how does success/failure effect champions?
- Presented is information related to Rogers Co. for the month of January 2011. Ending inventory per perpetual records $21,600 Ending inventory actually...
- in some countries 80 degrees farenheit is considered is warm? what are the equivalent temperatures in degrees celsuis and kelvin
- Complete Appendix G.
- 7-1 Tus vacaciones. Cambia las oraciones para describir tus últimas vacaciones. 1. Fui a Nueva York. 2. Viajé con mi novio. 3....