Software and Hardware Infrastructure Conceptsac142
IFSM 310 Homework #2
This assignment is at the instructor's option. Some instructors may choose to assign selected questions from this assignment or may choose to use an alternate assignment.
(Max raw score: 10 pt / Counts for max 4 pt towards Course Grade)
Due Sunday (2359 hours Eastern Time)
1. (1 point) Using Englander's Figure 4.3 (page 102), fill out the table below by translating the following binary numbers into characters using ASCII code. (HINT: It's easier if you convert the binary to hexadecimal first.)
2. (1 point) The MP3 audio format is described as ‘‘almost CD quality.’’ What characteristic of MP3 makes this description accurate?
3. (2 points) Describe at least three shortcomings of using a parallel as compared to serial bus to transfer data from one place to another.
4. (2 points) Answer the following questions about pipelining:
(a) Explain how pipelining improves CPU efficiency.
(b) What is the potential effect of executing a conditional branch instruction on the efficiency gained by pipelining?
(c) Briefly describe two techniques that can be employed to make pipelining more efficient when executing conditional branch instructions.
5. (2 points) Answer the following questions about memory cache:
(a) Describe the trade-offs between the memory cache write-through and write-back techniques.
(b) Does a memory cache read always result in a performance improvement? Why or why not.
6. (2 points) Consider the following register and memory values:
PC is the Program Counter, BR is a Base Register, X is an Index Register, AC is the Accumulator.
a. Compute the result of an ADD IMMEDIATE 150 instruction.
- 6 years ago