Social Pschology Quiz 3Justastudent4810
There are 16 questions on the exam: 3 essay questions, 2 short answer questions, and 11 multiple-choice questions.
1. TCO 5. There has been a bumper crop of politicians who have been revealed to be less than upstanding citizens. John Edwards, a former senator who was in the running for the 2008 presidential nomination, and who said family values were at his core, was revealed to have had an affair with a campaign worker, at the same time his wife was battling cancer. Similarly, New York governor Eliot Spitzer, a married, moralizing crusader for laws against sexual tourism, was caught in an escort service "sting", and forced to resign. These are only two of several recent examples of politicians who have celebrity status, and flaunted the social norms of decency.
Apply the course concepts of the dark side of self-esteem and moral hypocrisy to this type of behavior. What do you conclude about people who behave in such a way? Hint: Explicitly use each concept by name and also give a one sentence definition of it before explaining how the concepts apply to these people.
(Points : 41)
Question 2. 2. TCO 6. The Beltway sniper attacks in the Washington D.C. area, in 2002, completely transfixed American consciousness for the three weeks in October, when a pair of armed killers roamed through the Capital region, ambushing and killing 10 people, and wounding three others. As time progressed and law enforcement officials were having little luck in solving the case, tensions and apprehensiveness spread far beyond the area where the killings were concentrated. Even though there was never any hard evidence that the killers were headed in their direction, the citizens of towns and cities a hundred miles away were terrorized by the notion that the killers were about to show up in their communities.
Discuss this with respect to the effects of suggestibility that Myers writes about in Chapter 6. Be specific as to what aspects of suggestibility apply to the case.
(Points : 41)
Question 3. 3. TCO's 4 and 12. At the 2008 Summer Olympics, Cuban Taekwondo athlete Angel Matos fell to the mat, after being hit by his opponent. He became incensed at the referee, who disqualified him for exceeding the one-minute time-out allowed for an injury. Matos angrily disputed the call, physically pushing a judge and then pushing and kicking the referee in the face. He spat on the mat and was escorted out by officials. The World Taekwondo Federation immediately banned Matos for life, and the IOC took away his bronze medal.
This is a two part question:
a. What is it about the fundamental nature and structure of the Olympics that helps explain why this situation occurred?
b. This example contains evidence of both hostile aggression and instrumental aggression. Which part of the example involves hostile aggression, and which part of the example involves instrumental aggression? Explain your reasoning.
(Points : 41)
Question 4. 4. TCO 9. Barack Obama became a very hot political commodity in 2006 when he caught the attention and imagination of the American public by announcing his intention to run for President in 2008. He is a tall, nice looking, and a very articulate individual, which quickly made him a media darling. Some media watchers have described his impact as similar to a rock star.
Name two (2) factors of interpersonal attraction mentioned in the textbook that would explain his attractiveness to audiences.
(Points : 26)
Question 5. 5. TCO 6. Why do common external threats and shared goals lead to greater cooperation between two conflicting groups? (Points : 26)
This page contains all the multiple-choice questions for the exam. Be sure to save often and remember to save before you switch back to page 1. DO NOT save and exit the exam because the servers will not let you back in.
- 6 years ago
- XYZ Company, a U.S. firm, is seeking to obtain business in Indonesia. XYZ learns that one of its major competitors,...
- MGMT 520 Final Exam 4
- Assessment Context
- environmental engineering lab report
- anthropology assignment
- Our local diy store is having a sale with reductions of 10 % on some tools here is a list...
- Implement a sequence recognizer that outputs 1 whenever a sequence of input bits ends in “0010” or “100”. This circuit receives (as input) one bit per clock cycle and outputs the value 1 whenever the sequence 0010 or 100 appears
- English Comp and Lit
- Internet Fraud