Sentence Skills Homeworkamiah.
Due Jan 5, Saturday .
1. Which of the following is a fragment?
A. The dancer floated across the stage.
B. The canoe with the blue stripes.
C. The truth can be unpleasant.
D. The rams locked horns, and the tourists watched them from far away.
2. Which of the following is a run-on sentence?
A. The house was owned by the mayor.
B. We like to take a walk after dinner.
C. Karen's uncle arrives tomorrow she wants to see him.
D. Mike joined the army, and he became more disciplined during the training.
3. Which one of the following sentences is punctuated correctly?
A. The sea calmed but no boats left shore.
B. The sea, calmed, but no boats, left shore.
C. The sea calmed, but no boats left shore.
D. The sea calmed; but no boats, left shore.
4. Which of the following sentences is correctly punctuated?
A. The local police asked the F.B.I. to assist with the case.
B. The company held it's annual party at the convention center.
C. Mary remembered to buy milk didn't she?
D. Mr. Jones visited the YMCA before becoming a member.
5. The infinitive is the most versatile verb form because it can be used as
A. a verb, a noun, an adjective, or an adverb.
B. a verb, an adjective, or a preposition.
C. a verb, a noun, an adverb, or an interjection.
D. a verb, an adverb, or a conjunction.
6. How could you combine the following two sentences into one compound sentence?
The rabbit jumped into the bushes. The dog followed it.
A. The rabbit jumped into the bushes, and the dog followed it.
B. The dog followed the rabbit when it jumped into the bushes.
C. The dog and the rabbit jumped into the bushes.
D. After the rabbit jumped into the bushes, the dog followed it.
7. Each one of the following sentences contains a clause. In which sentence is the clause used as an
A. What you really need is a back massage.
B. Whales, which eat krill, prefer colder ocean waters.
C. All of the delegates who have actual opinions should keep silent.
D. I do not mind fishing, as long as I don't have to bait the hook.
8. Identify the sentence that contains a noun clause in italics.
A. Betty wants to harvest the corn.
B. When should Betty harvest the corn?
C. What Betty wants is to harvest the corn.
D. Betty would like to harvest the corn.
9. Which sentence uses correct parallel construction?
A. You can either talk to the manager about your problem or writing a letter to the president of the company.
B. Anyone who is going to work here will have to be athletic, an intelligent person, and have a good sense of humor.
C. Most people enjoy ice cream and the plant grows.
D. The painter wore glasses, gloves, and boots.
10. The italicized words make up which type of verbal phrase?
Turning the corner, Kate bumped into David.
C. Split infinitive
11. In which sentence are the italicized words a dependent clause? (A dependent clause can't stand as a
sentence on its own.)
A. She went swimming, and her brother went boating.
B. The diving board broke when she jumped into the pool.
C. She wanted to leave early, or she wanted to stay overnight.
D. She became angry, but she would not leave without her brother.
12. Which of the following is true regarding a restrictive adjectival clause?
A. It will follow a general noun and is not set off by commas.
B. It will follow a proper noun.
C. It will typically include the relative pronoun which.
D. It will be set off by commas.
13. Which of the following is a compound sentence?
A. Kim will take her daughter shopping when she learns to behave in public.
B. We found our way home without a map.
C. Sue gave Jim a new racket, and he left for the tennis courts.
D. Rain and heavy winds caused damage along the coast.
14. Which sentence uses the passive voice?
A. Lies destroy friendship.
B. The rain continued until dawn.
C. John searched for a job.
D. The tree was planted by Mary.
15. Which one of the following statements is an example of a complex sentence?
A. Neap tide is the best time for digging clams.
B. Sparrows at the bird feeder compete for seeds.
C. The crescent moon is a symbol of Islam.
D. The earth was spinning when Lucas first saw Lucille.
16. Which of the following is a complex sentence that contains a dependent adverbial clause?
A. Mark expects the photo to arrive on Tuesday.
B. Mark expects the photo to arrive late.
C. Mark expects the photo to arrive in damaged condition.
D. Mark expects the photo to arrive when the letter arrives.
17. A restrictive clause is one that
A. limits the meaning of the word it describes.
B. usually occurs at the beginning of a sentence.
C. should be set off by commas.
D. functions as an adverb.
18. The following sentence is an example of which primary English sentence pattern?
The toddler tossed his father the ball.
A. Subject+ action verb+ indirect object+ direct object
B. Subject+ action verb + direct object
C. Pronoun+ subject+ interrogative verb
D. Subject+ verb +object +object complement
19. In which sentence is the punctuation correct?
A. Marge said "The train is just leaving".
End of exam
B. Marge said, "The train is just leaving."
C. Marge said The train is just leaving.
D. Marge "said The train is just leaving."
20. How could you combine the following two sentences into a complex sentence with a dependent
The boy wore a green coat. He carried his sister home.
A. The boy carried home his sister's green coat.
B. The boy who wore a green coat carried his sister home.
C. The boy wore a green coat; he carried his sister home.
D. The boy wore a green coat, and he carried his sister home.
- 8 years ago
- Using the arc elasticity formula, and holding all else equal, estimate the impact on sales of a rise in disposable...
- Has there ever been a time in your life when you had to make a choice between loyalty to a...
- you are mailing a 42 lb item by parcel posat. the total weight of an item and its packaging cannot...
- How many liters of carbon dioxide are produced if 75 liters of carbon monoxide are burned in oxygen? How many...
- Term paper- Guestion is posted for Proteach only
- Introduction Paragraph-corrected
- Exploratory Paper
- The Chiemsee Knee Replacement Clinic (CKRC) is a sports clinic located at the northern edge of the German Alps. It specializes in knee replacements for skiers who come to CKRC from Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and Ital
- Public Anthropology’s Community Action Website Project. Evaluation of Op-Ed Due on Fri 23:00pm
- NOT RATED8 years ago