Read case study Terms of Endearment where teacher Virginia Lawson is confronted with issues of racially insensitive name-calling in her classroom and struggles with handling the situation appropriately
Read case study Terms of Endearment where teacher Virginia Lawson is confronted with issues of racially insensitive name-calling in her classroom and struggles with handling the situation appropriately. Found at:
Write a five to seven (5-7) page paper in which you:
- Take a position on whether or not Anthony’s explanation of why he was using the n-word made his actions less of a problem. Take a position on whether or not there are any circumstances in which it would be appropriate for someone to use the n-word or any variation of it in a classroom or school, and explain those circumstances. Provide a rationale for your position.
- Suggest at least one (1) alternate way that Ms. Lawson might have decreased tension in the class following the incident instead of chastising Keisha and ordering her to sit down. Analyze how the way you suggested would have addressed Keisha’s comments, and the feelings underneath them, more effectively.
- Examine at least one (1) other way that Ms. Lawson might have checked in with Reggie following the incident instead of calling attention to him in front of the whole class and causing him embarrassment. Analyze whether the way you chose would have more effectively allowed Reggie to express his true feelings.
- Determine how you would handle the necessary task, after this incident, of addressing the use of the n-word with the class. Provide a list of steps that you would take, as well as a rationale for your response.
- Use at least four (4) peer-reviewed academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and many Websites do not qualify as academic resources. Peer-reviewed academic resources refer to articles and scholarly journals that are reviewed by a panel of experts or peers in the field. View this video for more information on obtaining peer-reviewed academic resources through your Blackboard course shell.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
Terms of endearment
body preview (0 words)
file1.docx preview (1529 words)
Running xxxxx xxxxx xx xxxxxxxxxxxx x
xxxxx OF xxxxxxxxxx 2
Terms of xxxxxxxxxx
xx xxxxxxxxxx xxxx is a word used xx describe or xxxxxxx a person or an animal for which xxx xxxxxxx feels affection xx xxxxx The origin of xxx xxxx Niger xxxxxxxxxx in xxx 17th xxxxxxx from the xxxxx xxxx Negro which means xxxxxx No xxxxxxx xxxxx the name originated from xxx is often xxxx as derogatory. xxxxxxx’s explanation that he xxx xxxxx the x word as x term
- - - more text follows - - -
Try it before you buy it