The Pythagorean Theorem
Assignment 1: The Pythagorean Theorem
Geometry is a very broad field of mathematics composed of a wide range of tools that can be used for problem solving. In this module, you are going to research three examples of the implementation of geometry that would employ the use of the Pythagorean Theorem as a problem-solving tool.
The examples you find can come from several different fields of study and applications such as construction, city planning, highway maintenance, art, architecture, and communications, to name a few. The examples you find must clearly demonstrate the use of the Pythagorean Theorem as a tool. Your textbook—Chapter 10, “Modeling with Geometry”—would be a good reference to consult for some examples illustrating the use of the Pythagorean Theorem in applied situations.
For each example you share in your post, address the following:
- Demonstrate the use of the Pythagorean Theorem in the solution of this problem.
- How is the Pythagorean Theorem applied to help solve this problem in this application?
- Why would the Pythagorean Theorem be applied instead of employing some other mathematical tool?
- What tools, unique to this application, would be necessary to get the measurements needed to apply the Pythagorean Theorem?
- Are there other geometrical concepts that are necessary to know in order to solve this problem?
- Are there any modern tools that help solve this kind of problem that either provide a work around, or that rely heavily upon, the Pythagorean Theorem?
When constructing your response, consider the theories, examples, and concepts discussed in your readings this module, and refer to them to support your conclusions.
Write your initial response in a minimum of 200 words. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
By Saturday, April 13, 2013, post your response to the appropriate Discussion Area. Through Wednesday, April 17, 2013, review the postings of your peers and respond to at least two of them. Consider commenting on the following:
- What other geometrical tools do you feel are necessary to understand in order to solve the examples provided besides the Pythagorean Theorem?
- Do you think we would have the technology that we have today without knowledge of mathematical problem-solving tools such as the Pythagorean Theorem? Explain.
body preview (0 words)
file1.docx preview (284 words)
COHEN, E. xxx & ELBER, G. A. xxxxxx Geometric modeling: an xxxxxxxxxxxxx xx Peters Ltd.
xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx xx used xx xxxxxx x right-angled xxxxxx xx xxx xxxxxxxxxxxxx The theorem is applied in the marking xxx xxxxx xx a xxxxxx xxx another xxxx xx xxxxxxxxx on x xxxx pre-decided. The xxxxx xxxx is xxxxxxxxx in x way xxxx xxxxxxxx xxxx xxx xxxxx two marks makes x Pythagorean xxxxxxxx Pythagorean Theorem xx most xxxxxxx xxxxx xx xxxxxx xx xx make the xxxxxxxx of xxx xxxxxxx xxx obtain x third square. 3-4-5 triplet can xx used xx modern surveyors xxxxx xxxx a plummet xxx xxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx property foundations xxx divisions. xxx plummets are xxxx in the xxxxxxxxxx xx vertical alignment of xxxxxx Other geometric xxxxxxxx used xx the xxxxxxxxxxx xx the geometric algorithms, can be xxxx to xxxxxxxxx any xxxx xx the xxxxxxx xx x square.
Pythagorean Theorem demonstrates xx xxx prediction of certain xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx from the relationships xx xxxxx distances. For xxxxxxxxx in xxxxxxxx a
- - - more text follows - - -
Try it before you buy it