Post Discussion: Medicaid Planning: Ethical or Not?wanafa
As older people and their families have become more aware of the cost of long-term care, middle-class families have found ways of qualifying for Medicaid (Moody & Sasser, 2014).
By divesting their assets families have tried to avoid the harsh requirements of Medicaid spend-down often times in an effort to leave an inheritance to their children.
Critics argue that this form of Medicaid planning is socially irresponsible. When Medicaid spend-down becomes a form of estate planning, critics say, it is a means of cheating the government and using public money intended for those in genuine poverty (Moody & Sasser, 2014).
Elder law attorneys on the other hand believe that families should realistically plan ahead for nursing home costs and that this planning may involve Medicaid. Planning ahead to qualify for Medicaid, they believe, is not immoral or illegal (Moody & Sasser, 2014).
In your post, take a position for or against Medicaid planning and defend it.
Support your statements with evidence from the Required Studies and your research. Cite and reference your sources in APA style.
Ethics in an Aging Society (Moody, 1996)
Chapter 5: The Long Good-by: The Ethics of Nursing Home Placement
Chapter 6: Ethical Dilemmas in the Nursing Home
Long-Term Care Ethics - Ethical Issues in Long-term Care Decision-Making Retrieved from http://medicine.jrank.org/pages/1063/Long-Term-Care-Ethics.html
Medicaid Planning: Can It Be Justified? Legal and Ethical Implications of Medicaid Planning (2002), Retrieved from http://open.wmitchell.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1598&context=wmlr
Should Families Provide for Their Own? (2010), Retrieved from http://www.sagepub.com/upm-data/26809_5.pdf
NOTE: ONLY PAGES 200-215 ARE REQUIRED READING
- 6 years ago
- Fin 564 Mid Term
- Question in
- Define servant leadership and explain how the ethics of leadership have affected the development of this theory.
- Reviews of course outline reflecting on that which provides the greatest interest and that which provides the least interest for discussion, as well real world event that best reflects the business ethics as it pertains to any particular module outlined i
- debate outline
- urgent hw
- MKT418 international trade dispute
- watch video and write 3 most interesting things
- Psy 345 Perception of Pleasure and Pain Presentation
- Payment 1