1. A gas is allowed to expand at constant pressure as heat is added to it. This process is
2. A gas is confined to a rigid container that cannot expand as heat energy is added to it. This process is
3. An ideal gas is expanded isothermally from 20 L to 30 L. During this process, 6 J of energy is expended by the external mechanism that expanded the gas. Which of the following statements is correct?
a.6 J of energy flow from surroundings into the gas.
b.6 J of energy flow from the gas into the surroundings.
c.No energy flows into or from the gas since this process is isothermal.
d.None of the above statements is correct.
4. A heat engine has an efficiency of 35.0% and receives 150 J of heat per cycle. How much work does it perform in each cycle?
5. A heat engine receives 6000 J of heat and loses 4000 J in each cycle. What is the efficiency?
6. A heat engine has an efficiency of 30% and its power output is 600 W. What is the rate of heat input?
7. What is the theoretical efficiency of a Carnot engine that operates between 600 K and 300 K?
d.None of the above
8. A refrigerator removes heat from the freezing compartment at the rate of 20 kJ and ejects 24 kJ into a room per cycle. How much work is required in each cycle?
9. Is it possible to transfer heat from a hot reservoir to a cold reservoir?
b.Yes; this will happen naturally.
c.Yes, but work will have to be done.
d.Theoretically yes, but it hasn't been accomplished yet.
10.According to the second law of thermodynamics, for any process that may occur within an isolated system, which one of the choices applies?
a.entropy remains constant
d.both a) and b)
e.both a) and c)
- 5 years ago
Purchase the answer to view it