For phd doctorate onlykatpayne21
Summarize Your Sources for the Final Research Paper
Please review the instructions for the Final Research Paper in Week Five before you begin working on this assignment. This assignment is designed to help you begin working on your Final Research Paper by requiring you to choose the sources you are going to use and summarize their contents. It will also give your instructor a chance to provide you with feedback on your thesis statement and your topic.
Your Final Research Paper will consist of two main parts. See the flow chart for a quick overview of the assignment.
To begin, select one aspect of your own culture from the following list. In your Final Research Paper, you will be describing this practice from an etic (or outsider’s) perspective, using the textbook and the article by Miner (1956) as a guide.
Aspects of Culture
|Relevant Research Section in the Textbook|
|Race||Chapter 3: Biology and Culture: Race and Ethnicity|
Chapter 3: Biology and Culture: Race and Ethnicity
Section 4.6: Language Change
|Communication||Chapter 4: Language and Culture|
|Gender||Chapter 5: Gender and Culture|
Chapter 6: Social Organization and Lifecycle Section
6.4: Lifecycle – Enculturation, Childhood, and Adolescence
|Courtship and Marriage|
Chapter 6: Social Organization and Lifecycle
Section 6.4: Lifecycle – Courtship and Marriage
|Rites of passage|
Chapter 6: Social Organization and Lifecycle
Section 6.4: Lifecycle – Rites of Passage
|Religion||Chapter 7: Religion and Culture|
|Politics||Chapter 8: The Political System|
|Economics||Chapter 9: The Economic System|
Next, identify at least one reputable scholarly source to back up your ideas. This can be a scholarly article from the Ashford University Library or a source of reliable statistics. Below are potential sources you can use to support your analysis (you can also conduct your own research to find other sources):
- United States Census Bureau (http://www.census.gov/)
- Gallup (http://www.gallup.com/home.aspx)
- Pew Research Center (http://www.pewresearch.org/)
Now, choose one of this week’s required articles to use to describe an aspect of another culture from an emic (insider’s) perspective.
Once you have identified the sources you will be using for the Part I and Part II sections of your paper, you are ready to complete the worksheet. Make sure that you cite and reference each source in APA format. Refer to the Ashford Writing Center’s In-Text Citation Guide and APA References List for assistance.
- For each of your chosen sources, you should provide a brief summary (one to two paragraphs) of the source. This summary will help you identify and explain the main points in the source. This will help you think about how to apply the material in these sources to the Final Research Paper.
If you are unsure of how to correctly summarize your sources, please visit the Ashford Writing Center’s Guidelines for Summarizing Sources page.
- Once you have read and summarized your sources, you are ready to write the working thesis statement for your Final Research Paper. This does not have to be the exact statement that you use in your Final Research Paper, but it should tell the reader what you plan to analyze, discuss, or explore. What is your main point or argument? Think back to the thesis statements you read and identified last week. If you are concerned about your thesis statement, consult the Ashford Writing Center’s Thesis Generator Tool and/or visit the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Writing Center.
- You may have come across additional scholarly sources as you conducted your research on your etic or emic topics. If you would like to use any additional sources, be sure to list them in APA format. You are not required to have any sources beyond the two you summarized, but additional sources may help you better support your points.
Late Policy: Written assignments (essays, journals, presentations) are due on the specified days in the course. Written assignments will be subject to a late penalty of up to 10% per day up to three days late. If written assignments are submitted after 72 hours past the due date, instructors can give a penalty up to and including a grade of 0 for the assignment.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.
- 7 years ago
- Conduct research, and discuss legislation that has been passed regarding age discrimination of younger individuals in the United States and other countries?
- DQ fuel-efficient and environmentally friendly fuel.
- Students Study anxiety
- buisness statistics
- bus 402 paper
- Accounting Background ONLY ACC 201 Principles of Financial Accounting
- CIS170A Quiz 6
- BSOP 429 Week 4 Midterm Exam ...............(BSOP 429 Production Activity Control & Just-in-Time with Lab - DeVry)
- Week 3 Assignment for Paula Hog
- For Bigako only: Module 4
- NOT RATED
Please review the instructions for the Final Research Paper in Week Five before you begin working on this assignment. This assignment is designed to help you begin working on your Final Research …7 years ago