Phase 2 IP Anxiety Disorders and Obsessive-Compulsive & Related Disorders
Scholar references APA format
Select 1 of the following anxiety disorders:
- Panic disorder
- Generalized anxiety disorder
Provide the following details about the disorder:
- What are some of the symptoms?
- What would this disorder look like in person?Make sure you relate this back to the DSM criteria.
- What is its prevalence in the U.S. population?
- What is your perception of potential impact on workplace performance?
- Discuss 1 type of treatment approach that has shown to be successful at treating the disorder you selected.
- What is the long-term prognosis (i.e., can it get better?)?
Provide 1–2 sources (other than your textbook) cited in APA style to support your answer.
The materials found in the M.U.S.E. may help you with this assignment, such as the article Anxiety Disorders.
Please submit your assignment.
For assistance with your assignment, please use your text, Web resources, and all course materials.
Barlow & Durand: Chapter 5
- Define and discuss normal and abnormal behavior within the psychoanalytical, medical (biological), behavioral, cognitive, socio-cultural, and humanistic perspectives.
- Discuss the implications of labeling behaviors as normal or abnormal.
- Identify mental disorders and prevailing views of those disorders.
- Understand the impacts of abnormal behavior in the workplace and the importance of assessing when to involve outside expertise.
This week we will focus on anxiety, obsessive-compulsive, and related disorders. This assignment is similar to Unit 2 DB, except that now you will choose one of three anxiety disorders and explore the symptoms, expression, prevalence, workplace impact, treatment, and prognosis of that disorder. Check Chapter 5, pp. 129-143 for information on generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), panic disorder, and agoraphobia.
To learn more about these three disorders, here are a few fact sheets:
All four of this week's M.U.S.E. resources explore anxiety disorders, prevalence, and treatment. In addition, you have access to the DSM-5 in the CTU Library. Check this week’s Learning Materials for instructions on how to access the DSM-5 in the library. Remember to submit your assignment by Monday, October 17.