Paper #1 Assignment (Midterm Paper) 80 points ca. 5 pages DUE BY OCTOBER 14, 2015 We started the semester by reading Hesiodâs Theogony, the Greek...
Paper #1 Assignment (Midterm Paper)
ca. 5 pages
DUE BY OCTOBER 14, 2015
We started the semester by reading Hesiod’s Theogony, the Greek version of the creation of the universe. This story included several epic battles between divine forces, one of which was called theTitanomachy – the battle between the Olympic gods and the Titans. This is (kind of) the subject of the classic 1981 film The Clash of the Titans, which engages with several Greek myths and takes as its inspiration the epic battle among the gods.
For this paper, I want you to watch this film (available on course reserves) and critically examine its presentation of Greek myth, Greek gods, and Greek religion in popular media.
- Read the Myth of Perseus and the Gorgon Medusa (March, p. 170-175) and Bellerophon and the Chimera (March, p. 175-179)
- Watch Clash of the Titans with a critical lens
Production quality of the film aside, watch it and use the following questions as a guide for your analysis:
- Does the movie take creative license with the stories, departing from the Hesiodic (or Homeric, or other) versions of the myth? How and in what way?
- Are the characteristics and attributes of the gods faithful to the Hesiodic versions?
- From the art and architecture we’ve looked at in class, how accurate is the setting? Are there elements of Greek art and architecture that your recognize? Are there elements that seem strange?
- What are elements of the film that may be influenced by modern culture?
- Does a more robust knowledge of Greek myth enhance and/or spoil the film?
- Length: ca. 4-5 pages, double-spaced, Times New Roman 12 pt. font
- Structure: Your paper should have a clear INTRODUCTORY paragraph, the BODY of the paper should take several of the above questions and answer them using evidence from the Film, March, and any outside research you do, and a clear CONCLUDING paragraph. The best papers will make keen observations and draw on evidence from the film, readings, and lectures.
- Citations: Make sure to cite all your sources. I don’t care which style you use, so long as you’re consistent. (See http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/tools_citationguide.html for guidance if you are unsure of how to properly cite)
- Software and Hardware Infrastructure Concepts
- MGT311 Organizational Development Week 1 DQs__2 SETS OF ANSWER
- BUS 401 Principles of Finance WEEK 1 - WEEK 5 FULL COURSE UPDATED ONE
- HAZARDOUS MATERIALS
- DBM 380 (Data Base Management) Entire Class - New Updated
- accounting class
- Some road engineers in Montgomery, Alabama built a banked turn for a circular clover- leaf style highway entrance ramp. Unfortunately, they...
- ECO 372 Week 2 Individual Assignment Fundamentals of Macroeconomics Paper