nurs 6565 wk 6 discussionziyeyixsy
Discussion: Understanding Scope of Practice in relation to Certification and Licensure
The National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN) is a non-profit organization comprised of members from each state board of nursing in the U.S., the District of Columbia, and the four U.S. territories. Their role is to provide a platform for all state boards of nursing to convene, discuss, and ensure all state boards work together to provide the appropriate regulation to ensure that public health, safety, and welfare is the primary focus. A key element of NP licensure is understanding the components of Scope of Practice and subsequent practice within the parameters of the educational program completed and appropriate national certification.
· Consider whether primary care NP graduates are qualified to seek employment in acute care settings such as ER, OR, or hospitalist/intensivist
· Review and select one of the following case studies to research in depth:
o Case Study One: Selecting the Certification Exam for your specialty.
Mary is in the last two months of her program of study. She is trying to decide whether to take the American Association of Nurse Practitioner Credentialing Exam or the American Nurses Credentialing Exam.
o Case Study Two: Obtaining initial licensure post matriculation.
Amy, FNP-BC has recently graduated from an accredited Family Nurse Practitioner Program. She decides to relocate from her home state of Tennessee to Missouri and practice in a rural area. She is very excited about her new role and new position.
By Day 3
Post at least 250 words (no conclusion or introduction)
1. an explanation of the professional and/or clinical practice issues the new Nurse Practitioner will need to consider and address with the certification, licensure, credentialing, or relocation process.
2. Compare Scope of Practice between the Acute Care, Family Practice, and Adult Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
3. also explain how practice may differ from state to state (Give examples too)
4. Then, identify and explain at least two types of settings that are appropriate for FNP and AGPCNP graduates to practice (outpatient primary care clinic and Homecare)
Buppert, C. (2015). Appendix 1-A, state by state definitions of the nurse practitioner. In Nurse Practitioner’s Business Practice and Legal Guide (5th ed.) (16-32). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett.
National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties (2011). Statement on Acute Care and Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Practice. Retrieved from http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.nonpf.org/resource/resmgr/imported/NPPrimaryCareAcuteCarePracticeFINAL.pdf
O'Connell, J., Gardner, G., & Coyer, F. (2014). Beyond competencies: Using a capability framework in developing practice standards for advanced practice nursing. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 70(12), 2728-2735.
Note: Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
Pearson, L. (2014). 2014 Pearson Report. Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett. Retrieved from http://d2jw81rkebrcvk.cloudfront.net/assets.navigate/Nurse_Practitioners_Business_Practice_Legal_Guide/CWS/The_Pearson_Report.pdf
Wood, D. (2015). Everyday Ethics for Nurses: Addressing Ethical Challenges - Turning the Nurses Week theme into Year-Round Ethical Practice. Retrieved from http://essynursingservices.com/everyday-ethics-for-nurses-addressing-ethical-challenges/
- 4 years ago