nurs 6501 Week 9 discussion questionziyeyixsy
According to the American Diabetes Association (2011), 25.8 million children and adults have been diagnosed with diabetes in the United States. Approximately 2 million more are diagnosed every year, with another 79 million people considered to be in a pre-diabetes state. These millions of people are at risk of several alterations, including heart disease, stroke, kidney failure, neuropathy, and blindness. Since diabetes has a major impact on the health of millions of people around the world, it is essential for nurses to understand the pathophysiology and associated alterations of this disorder. In this Discussion, you compare two types of diabetes—diabetes mellitus and diabetes insipidus.
To prepare for this Discussion:
· Review Chapter 18 in the Huether and McCance text and Chapter 18 in the McPhee and Hammer text. Identify the pathophysiology of diabetes mellitus and diabetes insipidus. Consider the similarities and differences between resulting alterations of hormonal regulation.
· Select two of the following patient factors: genetics, gender, ethnicity, age, or behavior. Think about how the factors you selected might impact the diagnosis and prescription of treatment for these two types of diabetes.
1 page APA format
1. an explanation of the pathophysiology of diabetes mellitus and diabetes insipidus.
2. Describe the differences and similarities between resulting alterations of hormonal regulation.
3. Then explain how the factors you selected might impact the diagnosis and prescription of treatment for these two types of diabetes.
· Huether, S. E., & McCance, K. L. (2012). Understanding pathophysiology (Laureate custom ed.). St. Louis, MO: Mosby.
o Chapter 17, “Mechanisms of Hormonal Regulation”
This chapter explores mechanisms of hormonal regulation and the structure and function of the endocrine glands. It provides a foundation for examining alterations of the endocrine system, as well as the effects of aging on the endocrine glands.
o Chapter 18, “Alterations of Hormonal Regulation”
This chapter begins with an explanation of the mechanisms of hormonal alterations. It then discusses alterations of the hypothalamic-pituitary system, thyroid function, parathyroid function, endocrine pancreas, and adrenal function. It also covers the pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, and evaluation and treatment of type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
· McPhee, S. J., & Hammer, G. D. (2010). Pathophysiology of disease: An introduction to clinical medicine (Laureate Education, Inc., custom ed.). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill Medical.
o Chapter 17, “Disorders of the Parathyroids & Calcium & Phosphorus Metabolism”
This chapter explores the anatomy, histology, and associated mechanisms of the parathyroid glands, bone, vitamin D, and C cells. It then examines various disorders involving altered regulation of parathyroids, calcium, and phosphorous metabolism.
o Chapter 18, “Disorders of the Endocrine Pancreas”
This chapter explores the anatomy, histology, and physiology of the endocrine pancreas. It then covers the clinical presentation, etiology, pathophysiology, and clinical manifestations of endocrine pancreas disorders such as diabetes mellitus.
o Chapter 19, “Disorders of the Hypothalamus & Pituitary Gland”
This chapter covers the structure and function of the hypothalamus and pituitary glands. It then explores disorders relating to alterations of the hypothalamus and pituitary glands.
o Chapter 20, “Thyroid Disease”
This chapter explains thyroid hormones, including how they are formed and secreted. It then examines thyroid diseases such as hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, and goiters.
· American Diabetes Association. (2012). Retrieved from http://www.diabetes.org/
· The Endocrine Society. (2012). Retrieved from http://www.endo-society.org/
· The Hormone Foundation. (2012). Retrieved from http://www.hormone.org/
- 5 years ago
- Debate: Employee Monitoring
- PROGRAMMING ASSIGNMENT #5 banking transactions in C Programing Language Solution
- A Linked List of Objects Solution
- Write methods that take a word input by the user Solution
- calculas 3 homework
- Complete the following programming exercise Solution
- Cultural Activity Report
- Atlanta, Inc., which uses the high-low method to analyze cost behavior, has determined that machine hours
- Number 1. discussion: Genetic Testing Discuss: Given the fact that there is no cure for Huntington chorea, how would you counsel clients?What...
- physics homework
According to the American Diabetes Association (2011), 25.8 million children and adults have been diagnosed with diabetes in the United States. Approximately 2 million more are diagnosed …5 years ago
- NOT RATED
According to the American Diabetes Association (2011), 25.8 million children and adults have been diagnosed with diabetes in the United States. Approximately 2 million more are diagnosed every year, …5 years ago