NOTE::: My Essay Topic is Oedipus Tyranus and the essay reading should be from Oedipus Tyrannus, by Sophocles, translated by Peter Meineck and Paul Woodruff (Hackett Publishing, 2000). Please write back ASAP if you are having difficulty finding the textbook of this assignment! No other reading are accepted as described in below instruction.
Week 3 Essay/Essay 1
This essay should be a 600-900 word essay focusing on the assigned readings from Week 2 and 3. It is due by 11:55 pm ET on Sunday of Week 3.
- This should be a close reading essay, and should use as evidence primarily passages from the story or stories that you discuss. You may not use ANY outside sources without the instructor's approval.
- The essay should be in MLA essay format (see the sample essay attached below) and use MLA citations. A works cited entry and in-text citations for each text discussed are required.
- It should have a self-assessment (which should answer these questions) as the first page.
- The essay should be focused on making a debatable claim about the work(s) in question; informational essays or essays consisting of summary are not appropriate. The claim should be supported with discussion of specific passages from the text(s) on which the essay is focused. The essay grading rubric is attached below.
Choose 1 of the following topics, and write a thesis-driven essay in response to that topic:
- The Tragic Hero: In Oedipus Tyrannus, should we view Oedipus as tragic only, or can we find something heroic in his actions and end? Support your argument by discussing only events and lines from the play. Make sure to explain your definition of "hero" so that your readers are working from the same set of criteria that you are.
- Assessing Right Action: In Week 3, we read two sacred works that talk about righteous and morally good behavior--both the Gita and the Qur'an can be seen as providing models for how to act well as part of a human community. For this topic, use the moral advice given by 1 of those two works to evaluate the choices and/or actions of a character from 1 work we read in Week 2; you could, for instance, evaluate the choices/actions of the narrator of one of Li Bai's poems using the models given by Krishna in the Gita, or evaluate Oedipus himself using the models in the Qur'an. For your thesis, make a claim about whether that character would be considered a morally good person under the models of the sacred text in question. Use only passages from your chosen two works as support for your claim.
- Shared Themes: Choose one (1) poem by Li Bai, and identify in it a theme that you also can find in Oedipus Tyrannus. Compare and contrast the two works’ treatment of the theme. Do they deal with that theme in a way that is more alike or different? Focus your thesis on arguing how the treatments are more similar/different, and support your argument by discussing only passages from the two works.
- Make your own topic: create your own critical question to answer in your essay. If you choose this topic you must contact the instructor for approval by Thursday of Week 3. Essay submissions with unapproved topics will be returned.
- 4 years ago
- Urgent 2 hours
- For Rey writer
- 1-2 Page paper Due 7:00 am 06-13-16
- Define folkways, mores, taboos, and laws, and then discuss what happens when each one of these is broken.Is it possible to live in a...
- Week 4 - Supply Chain Leadership
- internet vs Brick-and-Mortar
- History essay
- 1. Pretty Lady Cosmetic Products has an average production process time for forty days. Finished goods are kept on hand for an average of fifteen days before they are sold. Accounts receivable are outstanding an average of thirty-five days, and the firm
- Can anyone help me with my microsoft excel project ?
Tragedy Across the Mediterranean: Consider âThe Tale of Sohrabâ from the Shahnameh in comparison to Oedipus Tyrannus from the Week...NOT RATED
This essay should be a 600-900 word essay focusing on the assigned readings from the course. It is due by 11:55 pm ET on Sunday of Week 6.
…6 years ago
- NOT RATED
Tragedy Across the Mediterranean: Consider âThe Tale of Sohrabâ from the Shahnameh in comparison to Oedipus Tyrannus from the Week...6 years ago
- NOT RATED
This essay should be a 600-900 word essay focusing on the assigned readings
3 years ago
- This should be a close reading essay, and should use as evidence primarily passages from the story or stories that you …
- NOT RATED
This essay should be a 600-900 word essay focusing on the assigned readings from the course
3 years ago
- This should be aclose reading essay, and should use as evidence primarily passages from the work …