Please read this entire communication for important information about your Unit 6 assignment. Below I have included the entire Unit 6 assignment and made some notes (in blue) to help you with the assignment. I have also included the meal that you will be analyzing in the paper. To earn the most points possible, please consider the following tips as well.
- Follow the word minimum (1000 words) and provide a full discussion of each answer (no word max for this paper);
- Use APA format and include in-text citations for any and all references (APA tutorials can be found in Doc Sharing);
- Review the rubric for the assignment (see below) and make sure you have included all elements of the assignment
- Avoid using quoted material if at all possible. Put ideas into your own words to demonstrate a solid understanding of the information.
Unit 6 Assignment: Impacts of a borderless society
We live in a world where geographic boundaries cease to exist when it comes to goods, services, and even food. We think nothing of having freshly squeezed orange juice or kiwis for breakfast, even if we live in New York City with 10-inches of snow on the ground in the middle of January. We live in an age where everything and anything is available for consumption year-round at your local grocery store. Convenience comes with potentially major ecological and economic impacts that are both positive and negative. For example, the coffee you drink may come from beans imported from Columbia, the sugar you use may come from India, or the steaks you sear on the grill may have come from Argentina. How much fuel was spent transporting these products across the ocean? Were any pesticides used? If so, was it done in a sustainable fashion? Were forests cleared to make room for grazing herds or larger agricultural fields? These are just a few of the many questions we should be asking ourselves when we make our selections at the grocery store.
Explore the following resources in the Kaplan Library, along with the link from the United States Department of Agriculture, to learn more about the foods we rely on and the variety of ways in which we can acquire them.
Roosevelt, M. (2006). The Lure of the 100-Mile Diet. Time, 167(24), 78.
Cosier, S. (2007). The 100-Mile Diet. E: The Environmental Magazine, 18(5), 42.
Cooper, C. (2007). 100 miles and counting. Food In Canada, 67(3), 7.
Macpherson, C. (2007). You are where you eat. Ascent Magazine, (33), 46.
Source: United States Department of Agriculture. (2012). The people’s garden. Retrieved from http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/usdahome?navid=PEOPLES_GARDEN
For this assignment, you will write an essay in which you analyze a meal provided to you by your instructor in the weekly announcement. Address the following questions as you write your assignment.
Baked potato with butter and sour cream
Canned green beans
French bread with butter
· If you were to purchase each item at a local chain grocery store, where would these items be sourced? For example, where were the fruits, vegetables, and/or meats grown immediately prior to sale? Do not discuss the history or origin of the item i.e., “corn or maize originated in Mexico around 2500 BC.”
To trace the source, you can decide on the brands and types of food in the meal above. For example, you can choose the brand and type of canned green beans. Trace the origins of the food back to their direct origin prior to getting to the store. You do not have to trace every ingredient! Just provide the prior location or source for main ingredients. You will elaborate on this in question 2 (below).
· Discuss the events and methods of production that allowed your local grocery store to carry these items. What farming methods were likely used to grow these items and how do these methods impact the environment around the farms as well as the employees who work within these establishments.
· Were the items grown and shipped in from another country?
· What types of processing and packaging must take place in order for you to be able to purchase the product? If you were to follow the suggestions shared within the articles provided above, where could you purchase the items (name specific local places within your community)? If a food item is not available locally, is there an alternative that you could use as a substitute?
This is really a continuation of the first question. You identified the source of the meal components in the first question… now break it down further .. how does it get it to your plate? Discuss what's involved in production, processing and packaging and shipping. Is it from the US, or another country?
· Discuss the ecological and economic advantages and disadvantages of purchasing food items that are locally sourced versus those shipped from other areas of the country and from around the world. Use your textbook reading for this unit in order to explore the environmental impacts, and use these to further analyze the impacts our food purchases may have on the environment.
Look at the sources listed in the introduction to this assignment for some great resources. Find a few examples of each. You need at least 5 sources for this paper in the References section… this would be a good place to include some of them.
· The food choices we make have the potential to generate both local and global impacts. This can be summarized in the phrase “Think Globally, Act Locally.” Based upon your analysis of the meal provided by your instructor for this assignment, discuss how the choices you make when planning and buying meals might change in the future and how your choices, when combined with those of others, can have a global impact.
This is all your opinion, so think about this question for a bit after you finish your research, and share your thoughts about what the statement “Think Globally, Act Locally” really means to you.
This essay should be a minimum of 1,000-words in APA style format. Provide appropriate citations and references for any information you use in this paper. Your paper should include a minimum of five sources. These can include those provided within the project directions and the course materials. Be sure to avoid copying and pasting large sections of text from any given source. For help with citations, refer to the APA Quick Reference.
- 8 years ago
- The vertices of a rectangle are listed below. I(5, 8), J(5, -2), K(-6, -2), L(-6, 8) What is the area...
- medical billing and coding
- Finance MCQs
- A particle is located at r= (3.9i + 2.7j + 5.6k). A force F= (9.3j -4.2k)acts on it.What is the torque, calculated about the origin? torque x? torque y? torque Z?
- factor the expression 12(a-3)-2a(a-3)
- during the period from 1492 to 1700 french activity in the amer4ica was primarly directed toward a establishing trade...
- when a Paraamecium divides by binary fission, how do the daughter cells compare to the orginal parent
- what do you call a successful farmer?
- 2976407z*87/8766 z=6760
- The purchase price of a book is $35.85. The sales tax rate is 6.5%. How much is the sales tax...