EDU 382 Meeting the Needs of Diverse Learners: Week 5 DQ 1r.zlvarwd0
Managing a Differentiated Classroom
Differentiated instruction will require students doing different things at one time. In order to effectively differentiate your instruction, the classroom must be orderly and flexible. This means that students are aware of your expectations and structure, but they have the freedom to work according to their individual learning needs.
Take a moment to review the following video on a third grade teacher differentiating her instruction for a science lesson: Content Differentiation in 3rd Grade Science (https://www.teachingchannel.org/videos/content-differentiation-science)
After reviewing the video, answer the following questions:
- How does this teacher lead students and effectively manage her classroom? In what ways was her instruction differentiated? Be specific.
- On page 168, decide which of the four classroom environments this teacher exhibits based on teacher management beliefs and styles (dysfunctional, adequate, orderly-restrictive, or orderly-flexible). Provide a rationale for your opinion with evidence from the text.
- How does this teacher adhere to and implement the seven basic principles of leading students? Give examples to support your opinion.
Be sure to utilize the text to support your assertions.
Carefully review the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate this Discussion Thread.
Book: Kajitani, A. (2013). Owning it: Proven strategies for success in all of your roles as a teacher today. Oceanside, CA: Kajitani Education Publication
- Chapter 3
Book: Sousa, D. A. & Tomlinson, C. A. (2011). Differentiation and the brain: How neuroscience supports the learner-friendly classroom. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Chapter 8: Managing a Differentiated Classroom
If you have any questions in regards to this DQ please feel free to ask me..
- 3 years ago
- ENG 125 COMPLETE COURSE
- Mercedes Benz Operations Management
- discuss role of ALAD in lead toxicology
- INTRO TO SOCIOLOGY
- •Name and describe the only language that computers understand and explain how the instructions that people write for computers get...
- Marketing 2 Page Essay
- Research Paper on Barrier
- what is the formula for tn in the sequence 1/4, 2/7, 3/10, 4/13,...
Learning Style Debate
A learning profile is defined as the way in which “people ‘come at’ learning” and includes learning style, intelligence preferences, culture, and gender (Sousa & Tomlinson, …3 years ago
When used within a balanced literacy approach, independent reading promotes fluency. Do a google search on independent reading. You might want to use the …4 years ago
Early Literacy Development
Read this web article from the Reading Rockets program entitled Stages of reading development.
…4 years ago
Although it would be easier if all students walked into our classrooms at the same
readiness level, this simply will never happen. You will have students who are
…4 years ago
Although culture can influence how a student comes to acquire or process knowledge, it is important not to generalize these characteristics as they may not be indicative of every student. …3 years ago
The Importance of Neuroscience in Education
In order to effectively differentiate, a teacher must be familiar with how the brain prefers to receive and process information and realize that each …4 years ago
“Do I have to leave?” “I can’t wait to learn more!!” These are the things we want to hear our students say when they are in our classroom. It is a given that if students are …4 years ago
As a result of the standardized reform movement, assessment data has been used to influence rewards and punishment rather than to drive teacher instruction. If …4 years ago
Effectively meeting the needs of all students can seem daunting, whether one is a new or veteran teacher. Differentiated instruction is what makes it possible, but the important …3 years ago
Teacher and Student Mindsets
According to Sousa and Tomlinson (2011), “Brain studies suggest that a stimulating learning environment may have a significant impact on an individual’s brain …4 years ago