- Canton, L. G. (2007). Emergency management: Concepts and strategies for effective programs. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
- Chapter 2, “Emergency Management: A Social Science Perspective”
- National Commission on Children and Disasters. (2009). National commission on children and disasters, Interim report, October 14, 2009. Retrived from http://cybercemetery.unt.edu/archive/nccd/20110426214349/http://www.childrenanddisasters.acf.hhs.gov/20091014_508IR_partII.pdf
- Sections 1–4
- Sections 9–11
- Steinberg, T. (2006). Acts of God: The unnatural history of natural disaster in America. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2012h). Special populations [Video]. Baltimore, MD: Author.
FEMA (Producer). (n.d.-c). Disability integration [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.fema.gov/medialibrary/media_records/7506
Although disasters are generally random, the impact of an event can vary in severity depending on a variety of social factors. An individual’s socioeconomic status, age, physical abilities, language limitations, and even gender can play a role in the ability to respond to and recover from an incident. In emergency management, individuals who face additional challenges throughout the disaster cycle are referred to as “vulnerable populations,” “at risk populations,” or “special populations.” Special populations may include, but are not limited to, the following groups:
- Individuals with disabilities
- Individuals with hearing or visual impairments
- Pregnant women
- Individuals with special medical requirements
- Individuals with pets
For this Discussion, view the media Special Populations located in this week’s resources, and conduct research on issues related to special populations during disasters. Also explore strategies to help reduce vulnerabilities of special populations during disasters.
With these thoughts in mind:
Post a description of two special populations and explain why they are especially vulnerable during disasters. Then explain two strategies for each special population to help reduce their vulnerabilities.
- AACN BSN Essentials and Your Future Practice
- Emergency Planning CT 6
- Need Essay. Please
- Carolina is on vacation with her friends. Fill in the blanks with the correct forms of ser or estar. Mis amigas...
- Managing Finance Week-3 Hand-In Assignment
- Targeting and Positioning
- Critique article analysis -- Lived experience